Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 speed muncie vs 2 speed Saginaw

Looking to buy a tranny. What one would you guys recommend. Racing in the imca sportmod class and it say oem looking tranny. Don't like the auto trannys. Looking for any input about these two trannys and where to get them at.
    Win Some , Lose Some , And Wreck Some

if the rule states oem appearing or oem replacement them try this..http://www.mitchell-machine.com/

thats what i run in an imca stockcar. they weight 51 lbs and use saginaw internals that have been lightened.

for the 2 speed saginaw... http://www.tongietranny.com/

heres a video on how it works...i want one of these!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEAaHjNuFV4
    white trash motorsports

Default wow

nice

got to get one

IMCA sportmod rules , Northern Sportmod, #22 transmission/ driveshaft: All Forward and reverse gears MUST be operational, plus a neutral position.

Southern sportmod rules #22 MANUAL: 3,4,or 5 speed OEM manual transmission only. ALL gears MUST function. So the transmission your looking to run would be an instant DQ.
    Sean Walker, IMCA tech, Independence Motor Speedway.

How about a 2 speed Richmond? They would have all the original gears, 2 forward, 1 reverse and a neutral..They "look" OEM, etc...

I suggested the Richmond due to the original poster stating "and it say oem looking tranny." I keyed off his wording of oem looking...No idea it had to be a true oem deal..

Quote Originally Posted by sj valley dave View Post
    I suggested the Richmond due to the original poster stating "and it say oem looking tranny." I keyed off his wording of oem looking...No idea it had to be a true oem deal..
    imca's idea of oem varies quite a bit depending on the class and parts in question. we must use an oem trans in our metric stockcars. everybody runs a version of the 3 speed saginaw or a powerglide. neither were ever oem in a metric car.
    it also states shift levers must be in oem locating...lol. we run fabricated floor pans and we sit about where the back seat originally was in a metric car. i'd have to shift with my foot if i put my shifter in the oem location!

but yet, as I typed directly from my rule book it just says OEM not "Appearing". Stock cars can run a 2 speed.

OEM generally means as-was from the factory. I don't think any production cars used a 2 speed.

the richmond says "Richmond" on the case , i had those ideas here locally since it was a T-10 case , but it wouldnt fly

powerglide

Default Transmission Issue's

Why doesn't IMCA allow the Brinn,Falcon,and or the Bert transmission,in this class?I personally don't know!I would think that it would be more cost effective,to have this class to use one of these types of transmissions,again not only from a cost standpoint,but also the safety factor.
    you just got greased
    http://www.goddardwarrior.net

Quote Originally Posted by lazermod3 View Post
    Why doesn't IMCA allow the Brinn,Falcon,and or the Bert transmission,in this class?I personally don't know!I would think that it would be more cost effective,to have this class to use one of these types of transmissions,again not only from a cost standpoint,but also the safety factor.
    We can:

www.westcoastsuperstocks.com

The class is admin by IMCA this year, hopefully next year we'll get a sanction too.
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

Quote Originally Posted by lazermod3 View Post
    they arent cheaper or any safer.

I compare a Bert, Brinn, Falcon, etc... to the Ford 9in vs quick change debate. Yes these trans are more expensive up front but the cost to maintain them is cheap. A rebuild kit with bearings and friction dics is cheaper unless you run a single disc clutch to replace a clutch disc in a 7-1/4" clutch. I don't know what a powerglide maintains at for cost but I'm sure it's similar to replacing clutch discs in a 7-1/4" clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by stockcar5 View Post
    they arent cheaper or any safer.
    Way safer,no clutch that can explode,therefore no blowup-type bellhousing required.You can find these type of transmissions used for $600.00 to $800.00.

So bottom line is this,(LESS EXPENSIVE,AND SAFER)
    you just got greased
    http://www.goddardwarrior.net

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    never seen a racing clutch explode, just oem junk.
    Except for flexplates... Seen the super lightweight ones come apart... I run the heavier SFI one its got a little more meat to keep together lol

Would like to find one of those $600 brinns though
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

Never ran a glide..Just wondering how often do they need to be gone through...4 seasons on a Brinn, just changing the oil occasionally..still going great...