Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by lazermod3 View Post
    Way safer,no clutch that can explode,therefore no blowup-type bellhousing required.You can find these type of transmissions used for $600.00 to $800.00.

So bottom line is this,(LESS EXPENSIVE,AND SAFER)
    wrong again. never seen a clutch explode. seen many flexplates blow apart...which is still needed with a brinn/bert.
    if you wanna compare USED parts you still lose. a used saginaw can be had for $150 or less. still WAY less than your used bert/brinn.

try again

stock oem appearing 10,000rpm clutch-$800, hydraulic throwout bearing-$225, steel bellhousing-$400. brand new falcon trans-$1200. used falcon,bert,brinn-$600-$800. i'd much rather run a racing transmission in my race car. ever see a powerglide case come apart and most of the trans. and driveshaft go bouncing down the track and into cars?

With the fact that I would still have to run a flexplate with one of those trans, I doubt that I would go to the alum bell housing and not run the lakewood I have in now... At the very least I would get one of the 270* scatter shields out there then the weight goes back up... But I like my legs =/

I do agree initial cost of a saginaw is not much at all, pulled mine out of a chevy van who knows how many thousands of miles it had... Ran 30+ nights before the syncros went. After a rebuild its been great. Rebuild kits are cheap and can find them all over ebay... Got my first clutch setup for free, second smaller lighter flywheel and clutch was 300 and same for the tilton I run now 350 and came with new clutch disks from M&R Racing...

Do agree the brinn ect would be nice on the overall weight break and no clutch to spin. Thats where the direct drive glides got the advantage for sure...
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

Quote Originally Posted by a1driver View Post
    stock oem appearing 10,000rpm clutch-$800, hydraulic throwout bearing-$225, steel bellhousing-$400. brand new falcon trans-$1200. used falcon,bert,brinn-$600-$800. i'd much rather run a racing transmission in my race car. ever see a powerglide case come apart and most of the trans. and driveshaft go bouncing down the track and into cars?
    NOW,this guy makes some sense!
    you just got greased
    http://www.goddardwarrior.net

Quote Originally Posted by lazermod3 View Post
    NOW,this guy makes some sense!
    not really. you can puff dollar figures up all you want but it doesnt change the facts.

new falcon $1200, new bellhousing $400 total $1600

rebuilt saginaw $250 bellhousing $400 2 disc quartermaster race clutch $500 howe throwout $100 total $1250

powerglide $600 coupler $175 total $775

i guess like jeff said they ARE safer..easier to lift into the car....LOL!