Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Walmart And Costco

Interesting to watch the free market place work, especially when it goes against the conventional wisdom of todays business model(low wages,less employees)----------------------------------------------http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2013/04/17/walmart-pays-workers-poorly-and-sinks-while-costco-pays-workers-well-and-sails-proof-that-you-get-what-you-pay-for/?partner=yahootix
    Last edited by Hollis; 04-17-2013 at 01:40 PM.

that why there is 1 costco in our area and a gazzilion walmarts

Quote Originally Posted by LITE-INN View Post
    that why there is 1 costco in our area and a gazzilion walmarts
    10 Walmarts in the area, no one to help you.
    1 Costco plenty of help and great products and great prices.

I'll rush right out to CostCo. immediately!!! A hundred mile drive one way, no problem!!!

wal mart is non membership store costco is I don;t pay some one to walk in their store

According to supershoppers.eng/corporate/pricing, all stores will have a membership fee by the year 2020. In that way they can get the best pricing for their loyal fee paying customers.

Quote Originally Posted by CrankTwister1 View Post
    According to supershoppers.eng/corporate/pricing, all stores will have a membership fee by the year 2020. In that way they can get the best pricing for their loyal fee paying customers.
    Defunct
    The Wholesale Club, merged with Sam's Club
    Super Saver, merged with Sam's Club (Southeast US)
    Warehouse Club, was a public company
    PACE Membership Warehouse, owned by Kmart, merged with Sam's Club
    Price Savers Wholesale Club, merged with PACE Warehouse Club, then merged with Sam's Club
    Club Wholesale, turned into office supplies stores, then folded
    Price Club, merged with Costco
    American Wholesale Club, (1986–1989)
    SourceClub, owned by Meijer
    Max-Club, owned by SuperValu (United States)
    Buyers Club, a Denver-based independently owned chain
    GEM & GEX Membership Department Stores (required Membership like a Warehouse Club)
    HomeClub, a home improvement warehouse, later became HomeBase and then folded in 2000
    Sam's Club in Canada
    Titan Warehouse, an early warehouse concept in Canada (Toronto) area in the 1980s-1990s

Come on Litey!!! We need to pay them to get our business!!!! Somehow that sounds totally bass ackwards!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Come on Litey!!! We need to pay them to get our business!!!! Somehow that sounds totally bass ackwards!!!
    they should pay me to do business with them never paid a membership fee and never will

Sounds like Hollis is just another Wally World hater...

The chances are, that you already pay Wallmart to shop there. Most Wallmart stores are built with the local commitment of a good amount of Property tax incentives. The promotion is, the Wallmart store will make many new jobs. The reality is the Mom and Pops stores close and lose that amount of jobs actually decreasing the property tax base. Not only this but the Wallmart store puts demands on infrastructure and we the property owners pick up the tax tab. We not only picked up their tax tab, they use this savings to cut cost and drive out existing business that pays tax. I wonder if we can really afford Wallmart. Year before last, our county told Wallmart to pay tax if they wanted to do business here or move on down the road. They didn't do that with out a lot of pressure from the citizens.

No wonder why Walmart can give some items a little cheaper than Costco. Poor management...
    "A short saying oft contains much wisdom." valuepointdistribution.com

Thumbs up Costco of course

I have a Sam's club card. I now have a choice between Sam's club or Costco. It is a no brainer with whom I will do business with when my card expires. A company that is a throw back to a day when employees and customer service matters, or a company that has spent millions in law suits and fines annually for it's treatment of employees. For sure, a clear winner here for my dollar........

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    I have a Sam's club card. I now have a choice between Sam's club or Costco. It is a no brainer with whom I will do business with when my card expires. A company that is a throw back to a day when employees and customer service matters, or a company that has spent millions in law suits and fines annually for it's treatment of employees. For sure, a clear winner here for my dollar........
    but you pay a membership geesh some people are dumb

Don't know why some people just have to HATE anyone that is successful following something other than the Walmart, "Stack it High, Sell it Cheap, Pay as Little as Possible" model.

When I read some of the posts on here, the hatred and venom and bitter envy just drips off every word. Always some snide, hateful remark whenever anyone says anything positive about a company that actually values it's workers.

But as I sit here listening to Glenn Beck Radio on Sirius, hearing what flows from the mouth of the Beckster and right wing radio generally, it really comes as no suprise there is so much hate spewed from other people who listen to it.

Monkey See, Monkey Do.

Because Wal-Mart represents the leading edge of this American business revolution, the Left’s crusade against it is more than just a battle against a single company. It is instead a clash of worldviews, as unions and their allies, representing a narrow band of special interests masquerading as a populist movement, try to convince the public that super-efficient discounters like Wal-Mart lower workers’ standard of living even as they actually raise living standards by offering goods to so many at such low prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Because Wal-Mart represents the leading edge of this American business revolution, the Left’s crusade against it is more than just a battle against a single company. It is instead a clash of worldviews, as unions and their allies, representing a narrow band of special interests masquerading as a populist movement, try to convince the public that super-efficient discounters like Wal-Mart lower workers’ standard of living even as they actually raise living standards by offering goods to so many at such low prices.
    Here is what this nation is headed for "the leading edge of America business revolution."

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?...&jumival=10161
    Last edited by ss12; 05-07-2013 at 07:28 AM.

There's a lot of truth in what he says. There is a war going on between diverging interests. There is Big Business and wealth on one side, and they view the world through the "what's best for Big Business is Good for Everyone" mentality. And they are pursuing the narrow agenda of profit above all else and the human cost be (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ed.

Then there is the other side, that says people matter more than corporate profits. Sure, you can call Walmart an "efficient discounter" giving people what they want at a price they can afford. But it just never seems to occur to the people that promote this idea that there might be something fundamentally wrong in a society where the only place people can find jobs is at the "Efficient Discounter" and when you work there, the only thing you can afford is your basic needs provided by the "Efficient Discounter."

It's a poverty trap inside a Trojan Horse. The horse came in the gate and provided low cost goods and jobs. But once the entire Army inside got out and took over, the people really didn't like what they ended up with. Low wage jobs, part time hours, and a low standard of living with little hope of ever getting out of it.

This is from Politifact. Some politician claimed in Ohio Walmart workers received $67 million dollars in food stamps and Medicare. While politifact found that the dollar amount was questionable, as there was no way to quantify the money Walmart workers got, he did get the fact that a LOT of Walmart workers are the working poor correct. Their employer, BTW, makes BILLIONS in profit each year.

Quote Originally Posted by politifact
    The report listed companies on a monthly basis who employed the most workers receiving various forms of public assistance, including Medicaid and food stamps, from July 2008 to August 2009.

Hagan zeroed in on June 2009 for his attack on Wal-Mart, which topped the Medicaid and food stamps lists in the report nearly every month.

As we studied the report, we realized Hagan had to extrapolate certain figures to reach the conclusion that $67 million was spent on Medicaid and food stamps for Wal-Mart workers.

Despite the overall fuzziness of Hagan’s math, which we will attempt to clarify momentarily, he did nail one statistic in his formula: the number of Wal-Mart workers and their dependents on public assistance.

The Department of Job and Family Services tapped into its centralized system that caseworkers use to issue benefits and reported to Hagan that 15,484 Wal-Mart workers and dependents received Medicaid benefits in June 2009, and 12,872 Wal-Mart workers and dependents got food stamps........

While it is clear thousands of Wal-Mart workers and their dependents are on welfare, neither Hagan nor the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services knows the precise cost.

There is an element of truth to his statement, but knowing that his dollar figure is extrapolated from one-month’s totals is an important detail needed to keep the statement in proper context.
    On that basis, we rate the statement Half True.
    Hate to say it but as a red-blooded, Patriotic American, it disgusts me to see an employer that is so profitable take advantage of our way of life and our fellow Americans this way. If this was some foreign company operating a sweatshop here, using our fellow Americans this way and passing on so much of the cost to the American taxpayer, I think the right wing talking heads would be losing their minds over this.

Why the outrage when the Democrats try to address this abuse of American workers, while the right wingers look the other way? It's ok with you that this happens in America? To our fellow Americans? It's ok we have to pay the freight for the Efficient Discounter?

And be clear about this. You can't call people with jobs "free loaders who want something for nothing, won't take responsibility for themselves." These are people WITH JOBS. They want to work, are willing, even willing to work and still have to be on food stamps to live and support their families. So it's ok that we, the American Patriotic taxpayers, foot the bill so the Efficient Discounter can run away with the money and shirk it's responsibilities?
    Last edited by t.nie; 05-07-2013 at 08:48 AM.