Default adjustable cam gear

On a 2.3 Ford with an adjustable cam gear, once you loosen the cam gear bolts which direction do you turn the crank while standing in front and using a socket on the crank bolt to advance the cam?

Thanks

It's been a while since I worked on a motor, but if I remember correctly

to advance your cam, you would turn your crankshaft anti-clockwise (counter clockwise), moving your timing mark on the crank pulley towards BTDC.

So if you were supposed to run a 4 degree advance for the cam.. I'd think you would zero the cam out / crank TDC. Then loosen cam pulley bolts, rotate crank 4 degrees counter clockwise (to 4 deg. BTDC), then lock your pulley down.

Someone please chime in if I'm wrong, (Car62, Dave, Olin, and the gang)... I'd wait til they speak before moving..lol

anyone know how many degrees 1 tooth on the stock cam pulley is?

9* per tooth. 40 teeth I believe. Crank has 20 I believe.Always put cam timing into a simple thing. Advance timing means intake valve closes earlier. In order for this to happen the crankshaft will be behind the camshaft the needed advance amount. If you have a degree marked crankshaft pulley you would set the crank 5* or whatever advance your looking for with the cam not moving. The crank bolt would be turned counterclockwise. You are wanting the crank to run behind the cam gear. Double check yourself after your done with the valve cover off you can lay your framing square across the #1 cam lobes and measure each side to the valve cover rail. Leaning toward drivers side *advanced* toward passenger side *retarded*. Most cams with 6 degrees advance will measure around 3 1/8 on the driver side and a hair over 3 3/8 on the passenger side.Hope that helps.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I believe 1 toothe = 16 deg on the cam gear