Default Is the 4cyl T5 the best tranny behind the 2.3 for racing?

We currently run the FOG 4 speed (3 bolt shifter) and have tons of problems with it jamming. Is the T5 a better solution? Also, anyone know if the Bell is the same for these transmissions? I do know that it will change from a 23 spline to a 10 spline..

Are you using synthetic gear oil? I had all kinds of problems when we used synthetic. We run Type F automatic trans fluid with no problems.

The T5 bell housing is differant. Use an old RAD bell housing if you can find on. The 23 sline box bolts thru the bell into the trans. The T5 bolts thru the box into the bell. The T5 is ALLOT more durable ( imo ).

I am using Lucas 80W synthetic... But would the oil make is stop jamming?

What would that Bell com out of?

I got my bell from a Mustang 2. Don't remember what year Ford start making ( 74 I think ) thru 1978. 4-speed car with borg-warner aluminum gear box with 10 splines.

As far as your gear oil, this was the explanation that I recieved. The syn. gear oil has higher lubracation properties ( slicker ...lol ). When you are changing gears quickly, the synchronizers can't slow/speed up the next gear you are changing to fast enough. Thus jamming it between gears. I ran Mobil 1 syn. and had the same prob. Changed to Type F or FA automatic trans fluid and the problem went away.

So same deal where the little dog leg part attached to the rail jumps out of the brass colored fork? It may have something to do with my akwardly giant 15 year old jamming gears around too..

Seroiusly considerng the Brinn route too, I just don't think that a 2.14 starting gear will cut it behind a 2.3. The problem I have with jumping to a T5 is the weight is quite a bit more as well, I don't want to give any more up!

the answer to this is what gear ratio you need.... that is what trans u use
    as for the three bolt shifter take it out their should be a plastic bushin where the shifter fork rest to take up the slop if its missing get a new one from ford also if its missing its in their so take some mineral spirits and clean it all out, do the same for the inside of the tranny i do this once a year regular old 80 90w is just fine
    the three bolt is a 2.14 second gear with 308 in rear = 660 good for starts and a track no bigger then 3/8

Most of the t5 trannys are either 2.34 or 2.37 second gear. rarily will you find one with a 2.14 second. The trans works well with a quick change rear end because it is easier to gear it. Otherwise a 8" or 9 with multiple gear set pumpkins you can change for track size.
    dr6 motorsports

Personally I prefer the T5 for durability. According to my trans. tag code list a 1352-116, T5 has a 2.14 2nd gear. I've never seen one myself. Sure would like to get my hands on one.

I may have figured out a solution to this problem. If any of you are familiar with the internal workings of this box.... The problem is the tooth engagement from the steel dog that is roll pinned to the shift rail shaft, this pin wants to jump the brass colored fork when going from 2nd to 3rd. I am fabricating a new aluminum cover, then will bolt a steel block below to keep that little dog (or whaterver you call it) from traveling too high upon it's throw.

I have sourced the plastic part that snapped on the shaft, the part in the tranny is new (2 races).

May be on to something here...