Default lifter bores .020 too big

anyone ever have this problem? I have a 2.3 head and the lifter bores seem to be .020 too big according to my engine builder. He's done a lot of these heads and say's he has never run into this problem. Took the head apart over the winter and i seem to remember the old lifters not coming out that easy. Dont have the old ones anymore for comparison. New ones are Esslinger #E2220

i think u have a turbo head,,the lifters bores are bigger in a turbo head..i ran into that problem

Haha Gotta love Ford's bright ideas some times! There were oversize lifters available through Ford at one time, but they've been discontinued for years. The turbo heads used the same lifters as all the other 2.3's, not oversized! Ford used the oversize hydraulic adjusters to salvage heads that the factory machined too large. If the machine cutting the adjuster holes had a tool that damaged the head, Ford would ream the holes to their oversize spec and install the matching oversize adjusters. This happened directly on the production line, and these lifters have been found in most all the various styles of OEM heads, not just one particular model.

got any ideas how to solve the problem other than find a different head?

D6FZ-6500-B .020 oversize HLA

Are you going to go solid or stay hydraulic?
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

planing on staying with the esslinger #E2220 hydraulic but could switch if I had to in order to save the head. Is the D6FZ-6500-B mentioned earlier a stock part

pinto83,
    the D6FZ-6500-B was replaced by the F67Z-6500-BA. both numbers are now obsolete. i had my parts guys check and he found that there are 43 available at 7 different dealerships around the country. they are in TX, KS, IL, SC, and PA. go to your local ford dealer and ask thier parts guy to check on other dealers inventory and what they want for them. they list for $31.96 but you might be able to talk them down some. have them look the part up under the old D6FZ number.

olin
    Last edited by return to dirt; 05-10-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Best part is, other dealers will sell them at cost minus if they have been in stock for too long, your local dealer may or may not pass this on to you. ASK them.....
    mark41

Thanks everyone I just had 8 delivered today. They only cost 7.98 each.

you would be amazed at some of the old 2.3 and 2.5 parts some dealers still have setting on their shelfs that they would love to get rid of.

olin