Thread: 2.3 motor help

Default 2.3 motor help

any suggestions on why a follower keeps popping off my lifter. lifter must be getting stuck we cut into a soda can into little circles and stuck to of them under my lifter then went out for feature and was turning 5400 rpms should be at around 7-7200 is what most guys turn there new lifters and valve job and everything was redone over the winter and got 2 laps of practice out of it any help you can respond here or text or call 607-4263948 thanks derrick

You are running too much lash.Pull the lifter out,put it in a vise or press.Compress it two or three times to get most of the oil out of it.Reinstall it in the head,install the follower.Now compress the lifter all the way down then check the clearence between the cam and the follower.Should be around .050.Check your cam card for exact number.Most hydraulic heads have enough clearence you can insert a dime or something of equal thickness under the lifter to get the proper lash settings.If you shim the lifters make sure you bleed all the lifters so the they can readjust to the new settings.If the lash is correct the follower will not come off,provided you are running the proper valve springs.

do like milford said for checking clearance. i prefer 0.035-0.045 clearance. don't use coins. been there, done that. coins will bend and change your clearances. use steel washers/shims to set your clearance. if you had a valve job done then you may want to recheck all the valves for proper setup, length, adjuster clearance, valve spring height and pressure. i turn hyds to 8000 rpm with no mousetraps without throwing followers.

olin