Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: setup

The springs are the same length. I do have adjustable spacers on top of the front springs. They are still set like they were. I do not have my sheets with me right now, but if I remember right, there was around 3/4 to 1" difference before the change. I can take the LF out and make an adjustment to bring it up. I am concerned about the right front. With 6 3/4" of fender clearance, the fender was still coming down on the tire, those 12" tires are not cheap. The tire is not cut to the point of being hurt yet. The fender hit the tire with the 1300 spring in there but only had 3 1/2" clearance. I cut the fender out more, there is not much left of the fender. I have the rear screw jacks down right far to get the rear up some. Wish I had the measurements with me. I can get them in the morning and will post the ride heights. I think the RF is 7 1/4", RR 7 1/2", LR 6 1/2", LF 5 1/2". If that is not correct, it is close.

Raise LF to 6 3/4" and LR to 7". Can go higher on LR if you need to to get bite . If weight jacks in back are down too far get longer springs if you can . As long as they have full threads they shouldn't cause any problem . Cut out the fender more if you need to , with 6 3/4 clearance you shouldn't be hitting , make sure you have enough shock on that corner. Can you video the car racing ? That would make it easier to see any problems.

We do have a video of the last race. I can raise the LF without too much of a problem, just take it apart and adjust the spacer. We were thinking about going to a 13" spring on the rear, the top of the rear springs are down out of the bucket but we still have some adjustment left.Will post the exact ride heights shortly as soon as I get to the shop. It was very loose under acceleration as soon as he stepped on it. It would break loose at the drop of the green flag, just spinning the tires.

PF-5 1/2: RF-7: LR-6 1/2: RR-7 5/8 This is right now, will see what I can do with it and post back.

Take RR to 7 1/4 and raise left . All my ride height measurement are from ground to frame , in front where frame turns to go back , and in back where frame turns up ( near lower control arm ). 13" springs is better if you can .

Can't get the 13" springs in time for this weekend. I took the LF apart and adjusted the spacer down 5/8". Here is what I ended up with. LF-7 1/4: RF-7 1/4: RR-7 1/2: LR- 7/12 with 52.9% rear: 53.5% left: 52.7% cross: 170# bite. I can change that. It only had 126# bite brfore I moved it after raising the LF. If I take a little bite out, that should lower the LR rear a little, would that help? I measure the ride height ijn the same place that you do. These measurements are taken with the driver in the seat. I have 1/4" stagger in rear and 1" in front. Just a little change on one corner sure changes a lot in other places. I will drop the RR a little and raise the LR a little if you think I should from this point.Thanks for your help.

Leave it as is . Double check your caster , camber , toe out , just to make sure nothing changed. If you'd like post the vid to youtube and give me the link , also take pics of suspension if you want. You can PM those if you don't want to post on here.

My daughter-in-law will have to post it to U tube. It might be next week after the race this weekend and maybe we can post both races. They are going away a few days next week for their anniversary. I want to thank you for your help. It has been 10 years since we raced and things have changed a lot. I found our old setup sheets and the way the car is now, it is very close to the same %. Will let you know what takes place.

Still extremely loose under power. Gets in good but spinning coming off. The RR tire was very hot, the LR tire was cool. Gained 1/2" stagger during the race. It seems like it has no side bite at all.Thinking of going to a 3 link. We are the only one run not running a 3 link setup.

If it is loose now and it was tight with LF 1100 , RF 1300 , put in LF 900 , RF 1100 that's in the middle. Always compare where you were and where you're at. Can you change gear ratio ?

I can change the springs. As far as the gear ratio is concerned, I plan on pulling that out tomorrow anyway. I want to make sure what is in there, also the spool should be here on Tuesday. Our parts store is supposed to have evey carrier bearing on hand that a 9" Ford used. There are 3 different ones listed. We do not have any more gears right now and it would be hard to have them as we race again this coming Friday instead of Saturday. My son will be away this week until Thursday night, it is his anniversary. Would I need to rescale the car with thisspring change? The scales are borrowed for a friend.

I just found a set of 6:20 gear still in the box, never been mounted for $100. Sure would like to have another housing to try them in. I will have to look around.Have you ever hear of using a panhart bar with our type suspension? I did on our old mini modifired and it handled like a dream. Our 4 link is a slmost stock type. Both upper trailing arms are adjustable for length and so are both lowers. The uppers have about 17 degrees down angle. The lowers are running up to the body a little ways, the only way to go lower with them is to put them in the stock location on the body.

I recommend rescaling , but you can just reset the ride hgts. About 1/4" out LF and 3/8" out RF on your adjusters. I wouldn't mess with the panhard just yet , get seat time. One of my cars Saturday won heat and feature , lead every lap of both. It has stock location metric 4 link , it was as fast as the semi-lates. My rear ride height is a bit higher , and have less upper angle. Running late model tires with your engine combo you should not be spinning , my car has much more engine and was totally hooked , tires barely had heat in em'.

Could the detroit locker be the problem? I gues I am wondering if it does not lock both wheels at the same time, that could start the spin that gets worse whe nthe other locks. That rear end makes a lot of noise when off the throttle. It sounds like something breaking up but it is locked when we jack it up. Just to be sure, I got him the take off in 2nd gear on pavement with the wheels stright ahead. He did not floor it but it spun the tires. It really took off but was spinning a lot. He said it fells like something is moving around when he gets off the gas, like the rear end is moving but it is solid in the car. 13" rear springs should be here Thursday.

Could be the problem . get the spool in . Gear ....what size and surface (tacky , slick, abrasive , etc. ) is the track? 1/3 mile and under 6.50 should work , longer maybe 6.20 , try the spool with the 6.50 first.

The track is 3/8 mile. The turns at around 8 degrees progressive banking, not much at all on bottom but gets more as you go up the track. It is usually dry slick. Long turns and short straights. Most cars were a little loose this past weekend but we were more than that.Do not have the adapter to hook camera up to computer to post the videos.

Ride heights back at shopLF went from 7 1/4 to 7 3/4.....LR from 7 1/2 to 7 1/2..........RR from 7 1/2 to 7 1/4.....RF from 7 1/4 to 6 1/2

I really should have checked this myself, not take someone else's word. The RR is back 9/16 of an inch from the LR. To me, that is way to much rear steer for this car, no wonder it is loose. I measure from 2 different places on the frame and got the same measurement.

That wheelbase is a problem , set it even . Forget about changing springs . Why did ride heights change so much is another big problem , are the weight jacks locked down ? Definitely need to scale again , before you start and when done measure all your weight jacks and adjusters and record them so you can see what moved.

Weight jacks are not locked down. I moved some weight today. It was low on the frame and now I have it over the spring buckets. Took about 25# off, it was 55 over what was needed at the end of the race. Do you think maybe I should put the 850 spring in the LF????