Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: setup

No leave the springs . Sounds good on the weight.

The spool will be here on Tuesday. What backlash for the ring and pinion do you reccomend? Before I pulled the locker out, the driveshaft would make around 1/2 turn before the axles would lock and the backlash was about .014, which I think is close for the track. The locker just took to long to lock, I think.

I can't help on this , I get mine made up. Anyone else who can help ?

I run no more the .10 I shoot for .08

The instructions that came with the rear gears for my son's Mustang said to run .008 to .012 on the street and .014 for racing. I was just wondering what to set these at. Changed from a locker to a spool.

The ring and pinion doesn't really know or care what you have hooked to it open carrier, locker spool, etc. Your just setting the gear mesh. for wear and contact patch some specs might vary by ring and pinion manfacturer slightly and re check mine after a few runs on a new gear. Do whatever they recommend I just do what I was taught it works for me

I dropped the front a little, I really did not like what the lR spring looked like. After dropping the front a little and rescaled the car, here is what I have. LS- 53.3%: R-51.8%: cross-51.1%: bite 148ride heights- LF-6 3/4: LR-7: RF-7 1/2: RR- 8 1/4:no stagger in the rear.

Had 2 pretty good night of racing. My grandson, never drove a race before, drove the car at our local track. He started in the rear and as he got used to thecar and track, started picking up speed, only spun out once. With a few laps to go, and trying to pass another car, they got a little tangled up and the right tie rod broke. No bad for a 1st timer. The car was a little loose.Went to another track tonight about 50 miles away. It has real short tight turns and long straights, 3/8 mile and is not much over 2 cars wide. The track is in horrible shape with bit holes and ruts in it, they even watered the track again just before our race. There was 15 cars the, my son started 13th and finished 5th. Not bad for a place we had never raced before.setup479point2, the private message was right on and it worked. My son is planning on driving next weekend and we will see. Only had to put a little more bite in and close the stagger up just a little, it is coming around.

these car's maybe different, but i have never seen a dirt car that had ride heights with the right side higher than the left. i know on our LM's and mod the RF is the lowest corner and LR is highest. if the ride heights were like this the car would never get turned into the corner, it would just want to skate the RF and would lack side bite bad. dirt cars need tilt to get the weight started moving to the right side to get it on the RF so it can create side bite.

The car gets into the corner great, was a little loose off the corner. I think with a slight adjustment, it will be fine. I have always ran the RF higher but it has also been 10 years since we raced.

There were a few adjustments we made through PM's , lowered RR and raised LR, added bite . It is really difficult to adjust on a car that you can't get your hands on : )

i have not messed with this type of car much and was wondering how the stock type suspension would change the effect the ride heights were backwards to me so i was just making sure. we start out with the cars fairly level but that changes alot through out the night as the track slicks off to keep the car scotched.

It is difficult to adjust something when you cannot actually see it and what is happening. My grandson drove the car after the last adjustments at our local track and he has never raced before. My son drove it the next night at a track where we have never raced bofore. The track is a lot different than our local track. The only change I made there was a little more air in the right front, it was rolling over so far the fender right behind the tire was hitting the track. Then he discovered that he had dialed in almost all rear brake. When he changed that, the car took off and gained 5 places in just a few laps. Will see this week what it is like at our track where my son will drive again. Just having fun.

Back at the home track last night. Car had some push in in the warm up laps but was not really any worse that most others. Started on the pole, this engine is a little weak I think. He ran pretty much side by side into turn 1, got a little loose coming off and lost about 1/2 car length. Ended up second by the time he came to the flag stand. Ran about 4 laps and something went wrong. The engine would pull up to 5,000 RPM,s and the the would sound like a rev limiter would kick in. It would start missing like crazy. I am not so sure the MSD box has not gone crazy. It has a 8,000 chip in it. This engine has turned 7600 with no problems. It did not start this until the race started, was OK in warm up laps.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    rf is highest on my car if not it smashes into the ground too easily and oftenNever set any car I had up with TILT, I always shoot for level with driver.
    Do you scale the car with or without the driver?

Always with driver.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    No driver when I scale
    So do you set the chassis level without the driver, or set the left side a little higher? Because adding the driver is going to lower the left side a little.

Very cool. You must be doing something right!

I want to thank everybody here for letting me work through this guys setup without harassing him and I . I know we all have stuff that works , and works well. Stockcar congrats on the win . Would be interested in what you do on your cars, am from Pa. so pretty sure we're never gonna come up against one another. PM me if you want.

Stock chassis ride heights are totally different from Mods and LM because of the roll centers and rear suspension