Exclamation spool vs detroit locker

What are most of you running, a spool or a detroit locker? We have a locker and are considering going to a spool. This a floater rear end with a 9" Ford center and 31 spline.Any comments welcome.

I've run both spool is better for the reason a locker can be inconsistent because the track changes through out the night. Different traction can make it unlock different at one point in the night compared to later. With my racing I take as many variables out as possible for consistency. As the locker springs wear it will eventually act up in your and you will chase it till you figure it out unless you routinely put springs in spool is easier set it and forget it for the most part and its constant

We have a detroit locker in our street stock right now and are considering going to a spool. The driver just does not like it, it works fine but he does not like it at all. Will any of the spools for a 9" Ford with 31 spline work? there are many different ones out there.

If I'm not mistaking a locker should roll through the corner faster. One way or another one rear tire isn't the right size. if ya get the stagger right the rr is trying to go farther than the lr down the straights. And if its not right its messing with the car through the corner. But a locker is illegal a lot of places.
    Last edited by Driver88; 06-07-2013 at 06:49 PM.

A locker is legal for us. With it seemly releasing and then locking back when under power, you get the feeling that the rear end is moving around in the car, which it is not doing.

Quote Originally Posted by floppyfoot View Post
    We have a detroit locker in our street stock right now and are considering going to a spool. The driver just does not like it, it works fine but he does not like it at all. Will any of the spools for a 9" Ford with 31 spline work? there are many different ones out there.
    If it's made for a 9" it will work. Not sure what you mean by "many different ones out there" other than some are more lightweight than others.

Some are lighter and there is a big difference in price on some of them.We will probably be going to a spool and when we do, the locker will be for sale. I want to look at it first and make sure it is OK to sell. Would not want to sell something that is not wotrh having. It does work.

Spool , my cars don't use anything else , tryed other centers always inconsistent.

The spool is ordered. There are three different size carrier bearings listed for the 9" Ford.

A locker will let the car rotate better when off throttle. Has a lot more to do with entry than exit. If you have been running one and put a spool in you will notice the car will tighten up on entry.
    It'll be fine

The car did tighten up some on entry. He loves the spool and hated the locker.