Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good cam brands

Default good cam brands

I have a ford 2.3 and am looking on getting a big hyd cam. wont really be turning more than 7500rpms. what are some good brand names that wont fail me and wont kill my wallet?

Call Jerry at Schneider Cams
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

Comp,Crane,Lunati will give you dependable performance.If you are allowed any porting work,look just inside the valve seats.Lots of material that can be removed and radiused to improve performance with little expense.

Don't disregard Esslinger. Although I believe Crower may grind some of the Essy cams. If you're running an iron head & it can be ported, Milford is spot on regarding some valve work. If I haven't mentioned it, David Vizard's relatively new book, "How To Port & Flow Test Cylinder Heads" should be one of the top books in your race library. ISBN: 978-1-934709-64-1 . -Dave-

Yea ive heard alot of ministock guys running Schneider cams. Has anyone used this cam from them? For some reason it says the followers are out of stock.http://schneidercams.com/304Hford2300hyd.aspx

Personally ive always used lunati cams on my cars. Was looking at this cam also http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1603&gid=266

The two piece followers were all made by Crower. The discontinued them earlier this year. Esslinger is the only one that seems to have them. Chris

Quote Originally Posted by camarofever View Post
    Yea ive heard alot of ministock guys running Schneider cams. Has anyone used this cam from them? For some reason it says the followers are out of stock.http://schneidercams.com/304Hford2300hyd.aspx
    that is a great cam...however...depending on the size of your track,you might want to have Jerry alter the lobe center,i run that cam on a 1/4 mile track with a 103 lobe center

www.raceidaho.com

yea itll mostly be used for 1/4 tracks. is the altering of the lobe center really going to make a big difference?

yea itll mostly be used for 1/4 tracks. is the altering of the lobe center really going to make a big difference?
    oh yeah...lobe center is huge

www.raceidaho.com

ok, well who is jerry and how do I contact him? also I know I need to get new followers with a new cam, is there anything else I should need? pretty sure my springs are already strong enough for a big cam like this. Do i need to use oil additive to keep a cam like this alive?

Go to your local Auto Zone and order Comp Cams Part # 1270-8 for $67.99,those are your new followers.

Jerry is the owner of Schneider Cams and can be reached at 619-297-0227
    He can also tell you the springs to use for that cam.
    Make sure to also get the high pressure lube,and the zinc in a bottle from him to break in the cam...he will also tell you to NEVER break in a cam using the soft spring method...break it in with the springs you will be racing with.

www.raceidaho.com

are those followers the padded ones? and is the zinc additive the same stuff that lucas oil sells? I use that stuff in my bel air with a flap tappet cam, i think its like 10 bucks.

are those followers the padded ones? and is the zinc additive the same stuff that lucas oil sells? I use that stuff in my bel air with a flap tappet cam, i think its like 10 bucks.
    No, they are not the padded rockers, they are re-boxed Melling rockers. Basically an OE replacement style rocker without the retaining groove for the mousetrap spring. The padded rockers are indeed still available, albeit in a limited quantity, through our company Esslinger Engineering. There may also be other companies that have the padded rockers on the shelf, but I have not done the research to find out who else has them on hand.

Also, I would like to throw our hat in the ring regarding quality cams. We have been doing some R&D lately on cams with some impressive results...

What cam would you recommend from your company. Looking for a hydraulic cam for 1/4-3/8 mile dirt tracks. stock lower end with an aftermarket iron head with 1.89 valves. Efi intake with a 350 holley. Not turning more than 7500rpm.and are the padded followers a necessity for hydraulic cams?

Brian,i may have been mis-informed,but i thought Jerry was grinding most of your cams?

would the 2270(.468)be a good cam for his application?

www.raceidaho.com

Ive tried 7 different cam companies. Some are better than others, but, the best is Schneider by far for 2.3 stuff, I think.. Ive sold over 300 of there cams since 1977. and use them exclusively.,JL
    WORLDS Quickest and Fastest 4cyl. street pinto!
    RT.... .0031
    1/8TH. 5.41 @ 130.44 mph
    1/4 8.43 @ 161.92 mph
    175ci C&S specialties Blow thru carb, , Arca head, Fuelab

World Quickest and fastest 4cyl. Race pinto!
    1/8th. 5.06 @ 137.82
    1/4 8.02 @ 164
    185ci - C&S specialties Blow thru 4bbl. carb,

Quote Originally Posted by car62 View Post
    Brian,i may have been mis-informed,but i thought Jerry was grinding most of your cams?

would the 2270(.468)be a good cam for his application?
    No, Schneider doesn't grind any of our cams. They do have a great reputation in the 2.3 market though.

As for which Esslinger cam grind to go with? It would depend almost entirely on the minimum rpm the car will see when the throttle is picked up mid-corner. The E2270 is our most popular cam, and probably the right choice for this application unless the corners are wide and the rpm's stay up above 5500 or so when full throttle is applied. If the rpm stays up, go with the E2269. The E2269 is listed as a solid, but we use it all the time as a hydraulic too!

Another option if you have a couple weeks to wait is to grind a custom cam for your EXACT aplication...

Ended up getting a esslinger 2270 today, and am gonna try it out with the OEM roller followers with my hydraulic lifters. Thanks for all the help!

Lunati is an excellent one i hve tries it and its great.______________________Wedding Planners in Delhi | Rajasthan Tour | Rajasthan Tour Package