Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question CT525 power upgrade question

Just pondering options on a DLM engine package on a budget. Around me there are several series that allow the CT525 as an option or even as the required package. A couple of the actual "Open Comp" series allow the CT525 to be run, but they don't actually want it to win against the "Open Comp" stuff so they setup the rules to make it irrelevant with weight and spoiler rules that are equal to the open motors. Now in its "As Shipped" configuration(coil packs and control module) it makes I'm told 525HP and you can't do any modifications, fine. However if you strip the coil packs & control module and add a distributor and MSD I assume you can do whatever you want to it. So if you can do whatever, how much power is this engine capable of without having to replace all the internals, maybe just pistons, cam and some port work. I know the ZR1 Vette puts out 638HP Super charged in the same basic configuration, but how much power will it tolerate reliably? I'm not looking to cheat just to maximize this package on a budget. Any thoughts or advice welcome.

the 638hp comes out of the LS9, which is a LS3 bore with a Supercharger.

There is no need for a dist. if you can run coil packs.

The LS Motors benefit from port work, but with the L92 type heads that come on the are pretty good. BUT there is alot to be gained in the top end, and pick up comp. numbers is big also.

FWIW an LS7 block is 4.125 bore, match it with a 4.125 stroke crank, and no one would be none the wiser.

only issue is the oiling system. It is turned by the crank at 1:1 speed, unlike a SBC, so you cant turn them to the moon

Quote Originally Posted by derricklong38 View Post
    the 638hp comes out of the LS9, which is a LS3 bore with a Supercharger. There is no need for a dist. if you can run coil packs. The LS Motors benefit from port work, but with the L92 type heads that come on the are pretty good. BUT there is alot to be gained in the top end, and pick up comp. numbers is big also. FWIW an LS7 block is 4.125 bore, match it with a 4.125 stroke crank, and no one would be none the wiser. only issue is the oiling system. It is turned by the crank at 1:1 speed, unlike a SBC, so you cant turn them to the moon
    Thanks for the info. I think you missed my point, I do NOT intend to cheat. I'll either run the CT525 as is, legally or dump the coil packs and module for a distributor. Reason being if you run under CT525 rules they allow no mods, but if you dump the coil packs & module you can do whatever you want to it and you have an all aluminum engine relatively cheap. I guess you could dump the factory oil pump and go dry sump as well if need be. I am curious how much power this block and rotating assembly can handle though...

seen quite a few handle 1200+ hp with turbos,...theres a few on here doing what your thinking an sure thay will reply soon as thay see it
    white trash motorsports

You will not max out the block as far as HP in building a dlm engine. I have never seen someone come out with a hp # for the bottom end for oval type use. People are using the crank in 800+ hp apps, but most are using them in drag racing.

as dwb said 4 digit power lvls are not uncommon on these engines.

Now are these CT525 type blocks or the LSX stuff?

aluminum LS3 Blocks. The LSx stuff is overkill for what we need. The guys making HUGE numbers are putting in different sleeves, but the stock stuff is fine.

The block will handle the power. The heads can be worked to make power. Compression increase/cam/etc will all help. I could see 800 coming out of a combination with this engine but it won't come cheap. There is a reason why they haven't caught on yet. $$$$ and the type of power they make.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

The people putting 1200 to the ground with 25 psi of boost and heads that flow 450 @ .700 are using RHS or world product war hawk blocks not stock LS blocks. The LSXblock is iron and heavy as hell but will hold 2000+ hp

Im really only interested in what can be accomplished with the CT525 package, but thanks for the info. What can be done with the stock package, ie block, heads and crank and what can be achieved??? Is 750HP too much to ask...

I have a ct 525 puts out 720 on Rayburn's Dyno complete with MSD $7000 3night since fresh.2174302277

What kind of power will these blocks hold up to? I believe they are cast aluminum not billet.

Quote Originally Posted by fwdbite View Post
    What kind of power will these blocks hold up to? I believe they are cast aluminum not billet.
    Okay, so what are you saying?

Who makes a Billet aluminum block????

LSM Systems, Dart has a program, Katech performance. Probably more.

ALOT of people use stock blocks, with a sleeve system from darton, or erl performance. These engines have problems with power adders, they hurt the sleeves.

I did not state it clearly will but I was referring to the major car makers. I do not believe GM performance or SVO even make them. I would bet that 99%+ of all aluminum blocks in oval track racing are cast.

Ego you are a retard. He answered your DIRECT question. FWIW billet blocks are not legal in many classes/tracks in oval track.

Stockcar5 the topic is about a GM CT525 crate motor, The fwdbite said he thought that they were cast and not billet. Look at the topic unless you are to stupid to figure out that I was talking about what the topic it is referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    Stockcar5 the topic is about a GM CT525 crate motor, The fwdbite said he thought that they were cast and not billet. Look at the topic unless you are to stupid to figure out that I was talking about what the topic it is referring to.
    yes he did. and you didnt know who made billet blocks so you asked. you got a straight forward answer and it made you look stupid like usual. so you had to try and spin it to look less dumb. now you look even dumber yet...lol.

you trying to fill in the gap for dynoman? lol

Quote Originally Posted by stockcar5 View Post
    yes he did. and you didnt know who made billet blocks so you asked. you got a straight forward answer and it made you look stupid like usual. so you had to try and spin it to look less dumb. now you look even dumber yet...lol.

you trying to fill in the gap for dynoman? lol
    been a while since dyno's been on here,..now you jinxed us,..guess he'll be out on parole for illegal stock trades now an waylay us with his latest alien valve springs for ultra high revving crate motors an free carb dyno's plus shipping an handling...
    white trash motorsports