Thread: Carb Help

Default Carb Help

We put it solid motor mounts and now the carb isn't playing nice. The boosters are dumping fuel even at idle. We checked float bowl level and it's fine. We have 70 jets and and a 55 accelerator pump along with a relatively new metering board. We haven't checked yet for a vacuum leak but that is next on the list. Assuming that 1) we don't have a vacuum leak 2) the electric fuel pump isn't pumping too much fuel and 3) the float level is fine, please let us know your thoughts. Thanks.

There is a wealth of information if you search the term "Pullover" on this forum!!
    JerryM

unless your car is really vibrating at idle i doubt it is a pullover problem. i have never seen pullover at idle. did you check the float level with the engine running or off? what is your fuel pressure? was anything done to the carb when the mounts were changed?

olin

To expand a bit on Olin's offering. If you're running a Holley 350/500 2-bbl. We run our fuel pressure @ about 5.5". Check your fuel pressure gauge with one or two others. I've thrown (2) gauges in the trash the past 3.5 years. Many moons ago, we had a problem with the nozzles very slightly 'dripping' @ idle. The hot fuel level was just slightly running out of the bowl sight-plug hole. I lowered the hot float fuel level to 1/16" below the sight-plug bowl hole. Dripping nozzle problem solved! Holley and the rubber o-ring on the needle-seat assembly. If that o-ring physically degrades in character, even with the float/needle-seat closed, the fuel pump will pass fuel by the o-ring & 'overfill' the float bowl. I always replace those o-rings @ season beginning & mid-season. I got a handful of the o-rings @ an Industrial Supply house. If you're running pump fuel from your local gas station, with its 10% Ethanol, the needle-seat o-rings will degrade more quickly. We don't care because we run leaded race fuel, but o-rings can be gotten that will tolerate the Ethy/alky without degrading quickly. -Dave-