Default Bad Call by UMP @ Peoria

UMP made a bad call last night when Harrison takes out the leader Kenny Wallace in turn four coming to the checkered flag. Watch the video http://vimeo.com/70387628. The race never finished. The flagman threw the caution flag. If that wrecked would've happened in turn two, the race leader would get his spot back and person taking him out would go to the tail and they would run the last lap again. What difference does it make if it was turn one, two, three, or four.

I would agree with that one

Quote Originally Posted by big.ed View Post
    I would agree with that one
    Me too. Harrison drove his car right into the 36 machine..All that can do is encourage people to ride in second place until the last lap and run over the leader...

If your a nascrap driver such as Wallace, Schrader, Allgier or any of the rest that jump into this modified series just to take our money, I say wreck them early and often. Maybe then they would go back to asphalt and stay there.

That might be one of the most ignorant things I have read on this forum. Who cares what division that they race in. If they love dirt racing and want to race, then by all means they should. Do you really honestly think they are racing to take your money?

Peoria Journal Star said that the call they made to Charlotte, N.C. said once the white flag is displayed the race is over and there wasn't an option of putting them to the tail. BS!!!! I have been to many UMP races that would have went back a lap, give the leader his spot back for being taken out deliberately and the one taking the leader out goes to the tail. Oh well, what should we expect. It's UMP.

It's really too bad that the race had to end that way no matter who was involved because it was a hell of a race up til that point.

Looks like two cars had crossed the line prior to the yellow light coming on. So yes, it was a completed race......but did an official tell the racers the yellow was out on the raceceivers before the yellow light came on?
    I can see how they scored it a complete race but Harrison should have been scored the last car on the lead lap.
    Last edited by Pops15; 07-16-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    Support WEEKLY racing......while you still can!

The bad call was the condition of the track ! 24 car hooked the cushion and was throttled up to rotate while the 36 missed it by 4 feet or he would have been gone. Racing deal when you deal with those track conditions. Good race up front though. Not holding up for UMP either just saying.

Kenny Wallace þ@Kenny_Wallace 17h OFFICIAL QUOTE; "I know Mike Harrison DID NOT spin me on purpose, Mike is a good driver, It's just disappointing"Expand Collapse Reply Retweet Retweeted
    Delete
    Favorite Favorited More
    Embed Tweet Kenny Wallace þ@Kenny_Wallace 18h I am speechless, NEVER thought that would have happened😡

he hit a hole and the frontend jumped up that's what caused the problem rough track. the v car was driving threw guy's and forced the 24 to run a higher line to keep from getting taken out like he did the 32 of lodge the v car drove right threw the lf and lodge fall back quick after that. I'd say rough track was the biggest issue for all.

last year Harrison got taken out while leading at Clarksville tn the 15 car drove right over him.

not a fan of the facility or the winner
    heard several different accounts today as I called around to get reports
    I watched the video and hate to admit that this facility had this quality of a race.
    hard door to door , side by side racing on farm dirt
    Harrison definitely lost the nose last lap corner 4 apex, last corner, last chance on the farm dirt to win
    yes there were the banzi entries by the V, thanks Donavan for letting me live, bye bye left front
    ending robbed Mr "A" Dog, 3RD TO 5TH bummer!
    still all in all tho, if you race at this facility you are subject to "he said, she said, track not to blame farm dirt racing
    close to home cheap on gas, I will go back cause it's close to home..........NOT

just curious were does it say in the rules they had to throw a caution last lap and Wallace immediately turn his car around and finished and by the way he really slowed down going into 3and 4 trying to stick his nose out to protect his lead guessing!

Default Confused

Dirt Car rulebook sez if a caution is thrown before the leader takes the checker then a minimum of 2 laps must be run. green-White-Checker. So it was reported in the Newspaper article that the next flag after the white has to be the checkered? Supposedly this call came from Charlotte?? Anyone help me out here??

The green/white/checker rule doesn't apply here because at least two cars took the checker before the yellow came out. Basically the race was over prior to the yellow. There could be one exception. My question is at what point was the yellow called on the raceceivers? If, and that's a big IF, the racers heard yellow on their raceceivers BEFORE anyone took the checker then and only then should the G/W/C scenario be in effect.

It looks to me like the officials made a few mistakes.
    First, they were slow to throw the yellow. By the time they did throw the yellow there was no need for it (unless there was another incident that didn't show on the video).
    Secondly they ignored the rule they talk about in the driver's meeting at SN races about what happens when you take out the guy ahead of you. You're supposed to go to the back along with the car you take out. So at the very least Harrison should have been scored as the last car on the lead lap. Under those rules an argument could be made that Wallace should have been scored as the 2nd to last car on the lead lap. Since the yellow didn't come out until two cars had completed the race I'm not sure how they would interpret that rule....either score Wallace 2nd to last on the lead lap or score him where he crossed the line. Either way someone wouldn't be happy with the call.
    The third mistake was relying on someone that wasn't there (and possibly didn't have all the info) to make the call.
    It's clear, at least to me, that they screwed up.
    I wouldn't take anything that comes from UMP or the newspaper as gospel.

I don't believe the checkered was ever thrown, the flag man had it in his then had to grab the yellow. making it a late flag. I was in the pits and could not hear the explanation, I am going by the explanation in the paper, it could be wrong. UMP may be screwed up but they have the hammer. A friend believes the call to Charlotte was never made, but opens up another can of worms.

Could be the checker was never thrown. The flagman had it in his hand but you can't see him wave it in the video.
    The thing is the yellow didn't come out until after two cars had crossed the line. So what do you do? IF the racers had been told on the raceceivers that the yellow was out prior to those two cars crossing the finish line then yes, you line them up and run a G/W/C. If they weren't told until after the yellow light came on then the race was already over because two cars had finished the race. You can't, or at least shouldn't, un-finish a race and have a re-do.
    The key to me is when (or if) the racers were told of the caution on the raceceivers, and of course where to score Harrison and Wallace.

I seen the yellow but never did see the checkered. so I don't know when they were told. Had a couple friends in the race but they may not know the sequence of events either. Wallace spun around but did not sit on the track, he gathered it up and continued on as did the other racers. So on to another race I guess. lol