Thread: Pistons

Default Pistons

What's a good piston to use on the ford 2.3. Our rules say flat top valve relief and must be three ring pistons and weigh at least 510 grams with rings and wrist pin. Wrist pin must be stock outside diameter. I weighed the pistons I'm using and they're 570 grams. I think giving up 60 grams per piston is a lot. Also is there a difference in the small journal crank engines? I've heard some are better than others.

570 grams is heavy 510 is crazy heavy to. why are you so worryed about a piston weight rule? you realy think there gone pull your whole motor down pull the piston pull it off the rod and check it?? my guess would be a kb stock replament piston from racerwalsh is 200 bucks but then u mite as well get the 5.7 rod ones and get the v6 rods from speedway racerwalsh sell the kb psitons for 200 where if u dont mind wating money so does speedway and u can get the rods and pistons at the same place but then your talking 400-450 and still not runing forged pistons but to max out ur rules that be the best way to go and ull make lots of good reliable power and ur rpm and power band get moved up so its worth running 7600 then
    jared flower

the difference is what you said main journal size so less bearing speed i never use small journal blocks there normaly thinner and the cylinder distort more
    jared flower

my 2cents get the v6rods and kb pistons (400 for the set up)or cheat and get the esslinger rod kit way more bag for the buck and stronger (550)
    jared flower

"my 2cents get the v6rods and kb pistons (400 for the set up)or cheat and get the esslinger rod kit way more bag for the buck and stronger (550) "

C'mon Jared, The best advice you've got is to cheat?????????????????
    JerryM

The pistons I'm running now are forged wiseco pistons and they weigh 570 grams with the rings and wrist pin. I'd prefer to not cheat. Was just looking for suggestions for lightweight pistons. I'm not worried about price that much. The 510 gram rule is with the rings and wrist pin.

What about lighter wristpins and keep the pistons?

Where do i get lighter wrist pins?

race engineering

well idk if it would be cheating in is divison never seen a forged piston weight so much mine are 261 with pin and rings my rods pistons pin rings a bearings weight 520 so figured he had to use like a cast or hyper 5.2 rod piston
    jared flower

agreed if ur already running good pistons and theres nothing wrong with them just chane out the pin never seen a pin lighter then 52 grams but depending how heavy urs are u mite gain alot also have u though about changing rod weight instead??
    jared flower

Sportsman crower 5.7s weigh around 600 by theirself. I've seen as light as 500 for a rod but that's a GOOD rod! Hard to believe your rod, piston, rings, bearings weigh 500

We have to run stock rods. I'll do some checking on the lighter wrist pins.

if you have to run stock rods any of the replacement pistons from wiseco, JE, kb, Icon are good you will not notice a gain in performance on 50 grams a hole more benfical say making sure your block is zero decked and get your compresion up to that 12:1 by cc ing your chambers and milling your head and having a good head cam combo thats were youll notice performance gains But just my opinion
    Miller

what v6 rods are you talking about ????

Default very lite setup

Quote Originally Posted by 14flower View Post
    well idk if it would be cheating in is divison never seen a forged piston weight so much mine are 261 with pin and rings my rods pistons pin rings a bearings weight 520 so figured he had to use like a cast or hyper 5.2 rod piston
    where can I buy this setup, want one. dave41

Me too...that rod would only be around 350-400 grams, that's unbelievable

Wow, are you sure that you can get all that stuff as light as you're saying? We (Esslinger Engineering) have some of the lightest rods available for a 2.3 @ 460grams, our lightest pistons are 262grams, the lightest wristpins are 67grams, and rings for a single ULD piston are 25grams... That's SUPER LITE, and still adds up to 814 grams per cylinder, and you aren't going to find much lighter than that anywhere!

I agree. I think his scale needs calibration!
    Miller