Question Dirt limited late engine ?

Building a Chevy 358 for a limited late class on 1/4 mile dirt. We're limited to 362.5 c i, flat top pistons, 23 deg heads, hyd or solid cam, .333 lift at cam, 1.5 roller rocker. You can also run 602. As far as the short block I'm most likely going with a 358 stock stroke. I thought about the destroked 400 with a 3.25" crank (353) but I'm not sure it would work with this small of a cam.

Im a little stumped on the top end. What would be a good top end for this build ie: cam, heads and intake? We can run any head as long as its 23 deg for a Chevy engine.

whats the carb rule? carb desides everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and how much you want to spend??
    jared flower

Quote Originally Posted by 14flower View Post
    whats the carb rule? carb desides everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and how much you want to spend??
    There is no carb rule. So far the majority of engines are pretty close to stock except for a few 602's. I'll spend what I need to, but I'm not getting too crazy. This is a limited class.

well i could built u a motor that fits thoughs rules for 3800 plus shipping and core. inless u where going to built it ur self
    jared flower

do you have any parts to start off with ?
    jared flower

do you have any parts to start off with ?
    Yeah, I already have a 355 short block I plan on using. I'm putting it together myself.

Hello Everyone, This is T Frawley and i am newbie out here. I thought it would be better to introduce myself to all of you and have a great time here. And yeah sorry for posting in the wrong thread.

well you said any heads so u got ask ur self what fuel u want to run pump or 110 ? you could buy a set of afr 185 heads sence u said any 23 head and run 10.5-11:1 on pump gas or a set of rhs or dart 180-200cc runner iron heads with a good .520 lift cam with lash meets ur lift rule. get it with a 106 lobe seperation and about 250@ 50 to 260 @ 50 range
    jared flower

just remember on pump gas u can only got 9.8-10.1ish :1 on iron heads my sugesstion is go e85
    jared flower

and intake will need to know what rpm you want that baster to turn and run at ? cam will need to know that as well
    jared flower

and intake will need to know what rpm you want that baster to turn and run at ? cam will need to know that as well
    I'd like to run 200-220 runner, 58-64 cc aluminum heads. That should get me around 11 or 12 to 1. I'll be running either E85 or racing fuel. I have a handful of intakes to choose from, but I'll probably run my Victor Jr. I am worried it may be too big of an intake for the engine. I'd like to turn upwards of 7000 to 7200 rpm max. The rules state the lift is measured at the cam. So I'm not going to be over .4995 lift max with the required 1.5 rocker.
    Last edited by kip77; 08-06-2013 at 08:53 AM.

i wouldnt go over 200cc lose to much acceration. not enough hp or cubic inches for that big of head.id run a super victor copy from procomp they are more even flow from runner to runner. get some procomp heads if u want to go cheap or spend the bucks and get afr's only way to go if ur gone spend good money
    jared flower

race fuel not enough compression for e85
    jared flower

You could probably get some 1.6-1.7 rockers that are marked 1.5 if the true valve lft isn't measured. Get with a good cam guy and find something on the fairly aggressive side to get some more valve lift area, get the vave open as fast as possible and keep it there. While E-85 can withstand and likes a lot of compression it doesn't fair badly with lower compression either.
    Josh K.

I don't know where Jared gets his info but that's plenty of squeeze to run E-85. Hard to take advise from a guy that can't even capitalize his own name.
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

E-85 would work fine. Chinese heads would not.