Thread: Softer RF

Default Softer RF

We used to run 500 LF and 400 RF but at the recommendation of a reliable source we went down to 450 LF and 350 RF. The car is much better now but we are being told to go even softer on RF. Should we continue to drop the LF along with the RF to maintain dynamic wedge?
    I'm concerned about losing drive on exit if we soften the RF only.
    For what it's worth we are already struggling a little bit getting drive off the corner in the slick.

That won't really maintain dynamic wedge.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Softening the right front will cause you to lose drive on exit.

Then maybe I don't want to go to a softer RF. I don't want to give up more forward drive given that we're already struggling in that category.

What were you attempting to accomplish by lowering the spring rates in the front to begin with?

I have played the softer RF game, RF stacked springs and a few others. If you lack drive off you will generaly lose more drive off with a softer RF. My opinion is to run as heavy a RF as you can with out destroying handling while getting the the rest of the car to roll over and achieve the side bite you need. To make side bite by adjusting weight height, bar angles and adjusting shocks. I would be more inclined to run the 450LF and 400RF and try to adjust the car around those springs. JMHO

I guess our intent in going to the softer RF is to get the car upon the LR more by pinning the RF.
    We definitely improved since going from 450/400 to 400/350 and some "trusted advisors" are telling me to keep going softer but I'm just concerned about losing more forward bite. The car is really good and not too tight on entry and through the middle but we just don't have a lot of forward traction. In other words, we don't feel like this is a matter of overly tight entry causing wash out on exit.
    Getting side bite with shocks has not been an issue.
    It's not that we lack LR driver we just lack overall forward bite which to me are two different things.
    I'm thinking of moving the 5th coil back or preloading the 5th coil more to help with this. Any thoughts on that approach?
    I was also thinking of the old adage about j-bar rake: more gives you side bite but takes away forward bite is what I've always understood. Since I'm able to achieve side bite by softening my right side shocks, I'm wondering if I could take some j-bar rake out of it.
    Last edited by citiracer; 08-06-2013 at 12:00 PM.

I am always better with very little j-bar angle actually never move it any more stay at center of pinion. As for the RF soft spring you may want to look at adding a spring rubber or something else to help keep traction in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by citiracer View Post
    I guess our intent in going to the softer RF is to get the car upon the LR more by pinning the RF.
    We definitely improved since going from 450/400 to 400/350 and some "trusted advisors" are telling me to keep going softer but I'm just concerned about losing more forward bite. The car is really good and not too tight on entry and through the middle but we just don't have a lot of forward traction. In other words, we don't feel like this is a matter of overly tight entry causing wash out on exit.
    Getting side bite with shocks has not been an issue.
    It's not that we lack LR driver we just lack overall forward bite which to me are two different things.
    I'm thinking of moving the 5th coil back or preloading the 5th coil more to help with this. Any thoughts on that approach?
    I was also thinking of the old adage about j-bar rake: more gives you side bite but takes away forward bite is what I've always understood. Since I'm able to achieve side bite by softening my right side shocks, I'm wondering if I could take some j-bar rake out of it.
    Dynamic wedge comes from lr and rf. If the rf doesn't push back, the sum of those loads is low.

There are a million things you can do to help with the compromise. Choosing the right one is the difference between a winner and a top 10.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

softer rf front is always better my car pounds the cross member when it is fast if i stiffen right front im slow and fight all kinds of problems i try to go as soft as possible the slower the track the softer, i said slower not slicker i get on some 'fast slick tracks in iowa. 300 is about min 325-350#

Quote Originally Posted by citiracer View Post
    We used to run 500 LF and 400 RF but at the recommendation of a reliable source we went down to 450 LF and 350 RF. The car is much better now but we are being told to go even softer on RF. Should we continue to drop the LF along with the RF to maintain dynamic wedge?
    I'm concerned about losing drive on exit if we soften the RF only.
    For what it's worth we are already struggling a little bit getting drive off the corner in the slick.
    You don't always need to worry about the drive if you keep the momentum your going to carry through the entry and center. I'd keep the 350 and maybe look at a rear adjustment. like a 200 RR or something or your 5th. We have made big gains using more LR Lower Bar angle but holding in rear steer with the LRF shock compression, This allows you to get in the corner free and your CG is raised being the car isn't set down as much and you can take to RRL bar angle out to allow the car to scrunch up and gain side bite. We also Index the LRU bar down on the cage it is VERY effective and for what loose roll steer you gain it for the most part is outweighed by the added LR drive