Default how much toe out?

How much is too much toe out. I've heard 1/2 to 5/8 but that sounds excessive. Mastersbilt smack. Wide front. 4/10 mile banked track. Any feedback welcome.
    I wanna go Fast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kevpow View Post
    How much is too much toe out. I've heard 1/2 to 5/8 but that sounds excessive. Mastersbilt smack. Wide front. 4/10 mile banked track. Any feedback welcome.
    3/8" is plenty
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I was talking to C J Rayburn once he said toe it out an inch if you think thats too much toe it out another inch. With hard tires toe out will scrub the front tires to help keep heat in them

Two inches of toe out would be virtually impossible to drive. As weight shifts around, that car is going to dart all over the race track. If CJ really believes what you said he said, I respectfully disagree with him.
    1/4" to 1/2" of toe out is fine.
    If you're scrubbing the front tires with toe enough to put heat in them, then you are also scrubbing them enough to kill a considerable amount of straight away speed. Some pretty simple physics at work there. Friction is the enemy of speed.

Sideways and forward friction in tires makes speed

What does friction in the brakes do?
    When you toe out your front tires and force the surface to slide across the race track rather than roll over it, you are creating skin friction (otherwise known as parasitic drag). Drag slows down your race car.
    To make matters worse, the force of drag increases exponentially relative to velocity. So as speed increases linearly you need exponentially more horsepower to overcome the force of this parasitic drag.
    But by all means run 2 inches of toe out if you want. While you're at it, run your spoiler at 87 degrees, keep your foot on the brakes all the way around the race track, and be sure that your nose piece drags the ground. :-)

I do know people who run 1 1/4" of toe out an they seem to run well an win races with it. They ha e told me the more they run the better the car feels to them. Personally if i was on a bigger track like you i would have 1/4" an maybe even an 1/8" according to how long the straightaways are
    Last edited by 4bangerhotrod; 08-15-2013 at 02:56 PM.

I've talked to CJ quite a bit when we ran a lm he always said 3/8 to 1/2 and that was for a small 1/5th mile track and a 3/8 mile track. Donnie Moran said the same.

hard or soft tires???hard 3/4"to 1",soft 1/4"to 1/2",adjust to drivers feel but you need more toe out with hard tires to get heat in them