Default 2.3L ford head question...

I have to build a new head over the winter & I have an OEM untouched ranger roller head. Like 99% of us I'm on a budget but have 'heard' the OEM roller components will withstand the hi race RPMs. True or false? Can I just mill it, have it all gone through & swap in a new cam & springs and have it live long? Thanks for any info...
    Last edited by Dirtman29; 08-21-2013 at 10:03 PM.

I have been wondering something similar that goes along with this question. Can you use roller followers on more than one cam? I know non rollers break in with the cams, but are rollers more forgiving?

We re-use the factory roller followers on all our hyd roller heads and have never had any problems.

I used factory rollers on a 620 solid roller with the roller springs and convex lash caps. Didn't have a problem

Agree....... we've used the same roller followers on 2-3 different cams on our Pro-4. Have not failed a single one. I contribute a great deal of that success to using a coffee can filled with oil and dropping the roller followers, submerged, into the oil overnight. Then final assembly & engine start the following day. Seems to work for us. If I haven't mentioned it, and your Rules permit, I highly recommend David Vizards latest book "How To Port & Flow Test Cylinder Heads" ISBN:978-1-934709-64-1 . A large majority of the book is devoted to porting & modifying V-8 cylinder heads, but 95%+ can easily be applied to any 4-cylinder head. -Dave-

Thanks for the info...are the OEM springs any good or too weak? I usually turn low-mid 7 RPM range.

OEM springs are only good for around 6000ish rpm and even then, only with a really mild lobe, not something like a RACE cam...