Question 3 Link starting point

I'm putting a car together, for, what is similar to an imca sport mod class. Rules are: solid mount 3-link with panhard bar mounted behind rear end, rear springs must be on top of rear housing. Allowed adjustment on all 3-link bars and panhard bar. I was wanting some ideas on arm angles and ride heights. Car is a older 4-bar car with a metric clip, minimum wt is 2600 lbs Must also use g-60 American racer tires. I've always ran metric 4-link street stocks, so this is new to me and I want to have an idea where to start so any advise would be greatly appreciated!

I used to run a 99 HOT chassis on the KK704 IMCA type tires. It was a 3-link with a long panhard bar so this should help some. First of all, you want about 15* of angle in the left control arm, and 0* to 5* in the right. For ride heights, you will have to check with the chassis manufacturer as this is where you establish the front and rear roll center and they have done the work for you. You will want no more than about 30-40# of static rear bite to start with. The car will let you know if you need more, but any more may induce a push under throttle. Also, you want to start with your panhard level to a little bit of down angle toward the right. Too much and you'll be throttle loose as the car will roll toward the right and the panhard will load the right rear tire. More angle will help side bite but you're straddling a fine line between forward bite and side bite (Too much side bite = no fwd bite, and visa versa.) Seat time will help you figure that out. I hope this helps and good-luck.
    Last edited by modracr41; 08-13-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Download the Jet Racing setup manual, it has everything you will need.

Quote Originally Posted by modracr41 View Post
    I used to run a 99 HOT chassis on the KK704 IMCA type tires. It was a 3-link with a long panhard bar so this should help some. First of all, you want about 15* of angle in the left control arm, and 0* to 5* in the right. For ride heights, you will have to check with the chassis manufacturer as this is where you establish the front and rear roll center and they have done the work for you. You will want no more than about 30-40# of static rear bite to start with. The car will let you know if you need more, but any more may induce a push under throttle. Also, you want to start with your panhard level to a little bit of down angle toward the right. Too much and you'll be throttle loose as the car will roll toward the right and the panhard will load the right rear tire. More angle will help side bite but you're straddling a fine line between forward bite and side bite (Too much side bite = no fwd bite, and visa versa.) Seat time will help you figure that out. I hope this helps and good-luck.
    This sounds good to me, too.

Very very helpful!! What about angle #'s on the top link?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtplay18 View Post
    Very very helpful!! What about angle #'s on the top link?
    Start with about 15* downhill to the front. If the track is heavy you may want to go a little less, but as it slicks off, you may want a little more (no more than about 18*). Too much angle on a heavy track can cause the car to lift the front end if you have a long bar which can induce a mid-turn push under throttle. The 15* setting will be a good starting point for both. Hope this helps, and good-luck!

What is an ideal length on the top link?

I prefer around a 30" bar at 15°.