Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Car Skating mid turn.

I run a 2 link dirtworks sport mod I'm having problems with the whole car skating up the track at mid turn just as I pick up the throttle. What can I do to stop this? I don't have scale numbers but here are the springs and shocks 600rf 650lf 200lr 150rr shocks qa1 and are 3-5lf 5-3 rf 5-3lr 4.5rr. Hopefully this is enough info to help. Thanks guys
    Last edited by Duckhnter83; 09-11-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Move your RR trailing arm up 1", or take out 2 turns of wedge. I would try trailing arm first. Good luck.

Raise your weight higher in car , more jbar angle , sometimes raise rear ride height .

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhnter83 View Post
    200rr 150lr
    Seems to me that you may want to swap the 2 rear springs, I thought you wanted to go less on the RR and heavier on the LR...but I may be wrong.

Sorry that was meant to say 200 lr and 150rr

Quote Originally Posted by jtrent64 View Post
    Seems to me that you may want to swap the 2 rear springs, I thought you wanted to go less on the RR and heavier on the LR...but I may be wrong.
    I agree with you. I would flip the fronts too. When I had my DW8 I ran 550 LF 600 RF 200 LR 175 RR. Have a 2010 BMS now and run same rates.

Another thing that helped me with the skating, is a guy told me that skating is really a loose off condition and try to correct that. So I raised my left bar up a hole and added a little weight to the left side.

Chain your RR to limit hike up, or if your able to drop your Left Lower bar on birdcage. Both of these will help a loose off condition. Dealt with this condition first hand.

I'm thinking dry slick here, so if your not on dry slick this probably wont help.

How are you entering the corner? Are you using alot of brakes and entering the corner straight? Are you trail braking and keeping the car somewhat up on the bars and over on the right side suspension?

If not, and the car has somewhat settled down, when you come back to the gas, your bar angle and j bar angle have pretty much flattened out, and this causes a pushy type of handling that alot of times result in the driver trying to jab at the throttle, or to somehow shake the car loose to get it to rotate the middle, and then you see the really loose car coming off the corner. IMO if you try to tighten this car for a loose type of situation, it will make the problem worse.

Without seeing the car skate up in the middle to tell if your problem is tight in middle, or if your over cooking the entry a bit. If its a stop and go track or a momentum track as well.....

With you saying this problem is noticed right in the middle when you first pick up the throttle, I would try just a bit more rear stagger, and see if it rotates the middle. Yes this might make your exit too loose, but with a good entry, and fixing the middle, you can then adjust for a better exit. You have to have a good entry and middle to ever have a shot at good forward bite, and with more momentum to work with coming thru the middle better, it's much easier to come off the corner better.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ChadJacks View Post
    Chain your RR to limit hike up, or if your able to drop your Left Lower bar on birdcage. Both of these will help a loose off condition. Dealt with this condition first hand.
    Exactly. Avoids the weight changing left to right picking up throttle.
    When it seems all eyes are on you when you're wearing a new pair of jeans you wonder why everyone thinks you look so darn good in them. When taking them off you notice the sticker still on the pant leg.

Unfortunately in Imca we can't run a chain to limit hike.

What is your right rear shock? it said 4.5RR?? If your right rear shock is overly stiff that can prvent the car from rolling and creating proper side bite to help the car turn (not letting the right side tires plant which would create a neutral skate condition). Also your left front is a 3-5 (3 compression, 5 rebound?) if so this could also be not letting the car roll. What we have found is that if your car goes good in the tacky, but then won't go so good in the slick you might need to do some stuff to allow the car to roll when the track slows down. We do that by going softer on springs as the track gets slower.

The right rear is a 4.5 rebound and compression

That seems overly stiff to me. I would go to a straight 4 valve or softer if the car is skating mid turn. We run a 3 compression 5 rebound in the slick when we want to help with side bite and let the car get on the right rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhnter83 View Post
    Unfortunately in Imca we can't run a chain to limit hike.
    Place it inside of the rr coil and not a chain but a black strap. Also tie the rr down 3-5 3-6
    When it seems all eyes are on you when you're wearing a new pair of jeans you wonder why everyone thinks you look so darn good in them. When taking them off you notice the sticker still on the pant leg.

RaceMentally,In IMCA sportmod they can't run any kind of extra limiter or safety stap. So it is either shocks or an underslung to limit travel.

Quote Originally Posted by clbaker25x View Post
    RaceMentally,In IMCA sportmod they can't run any kind of extra limiter or safety stap. So it is either shocks or an underslung to limit travel.
    Run one as they rarely check those things. You'd be surprised at what has been gotten away with for the past 3 years. In fact if you have a sport mod message me.

We got DQed from a win this year over our pull bar alignment. I don't think I would risk a win over running a strap that I don't need on my car.

LMAO, "Rarely check those things" all a tech man has to do is look under the car and see a strap attached to the rearend.

Detach it after race...