Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shock Tech Q&A

Default Shock Tech Q&A

Please post any shock related questions. Penske Shocks is making a big push into LateModels and our techs are here to help you with any shock related questions or comments...we will have 2 technicians in Knoxville next week, we will be working with Scott Bloomquist, come by and see us.

if the 5th coil shock has to an extreme amount of rebound will it cause a push on a momentum track by not letting the front settle?

Definitely, we typically run very little to no rebound on the 5th. Generally the 5th is a great shock to control on throttle grip.

how much to rebuild a lr gas shock mine has a ding in the shaft and a leaking seal.

What is the biggest mistake or false trend that you see late model racers doing?

i.e. Too high rebound one wheel, too low compression, vise versa, gas pressure mistakes...

Quote Originally Posted by PenskeShocks View Post
    Definitely, we typically run very little to no rebound on the 5th. Generally the 5th is a great shock to control on throttle grip.

Are you sure you two are talking about the same shock.... I believe he is asking about the shock on the lift arm.... Typically 3 compression, 3-7 range on rebound depending on track condition. It looks like penske is talking about the damper on top of the housing.....

I was referring to the shock on the lift arm.
    thanks for the reply.

Bloomquist runs a shock on top of the rear end,feels like 90/10 but most don't so if most don't run one on top should the 5th coil be higher number rebound,if not will car not be loose?

Stevo, adding more rebound to the 5th coil shock will tighten entry. One cannot say that if you don't run a top shock, that you have to add more rebound to the 5th coil. Let the stopwatch determine that.

Brandon Dierlam
    MBR (mark bush racing)
    Shock guru

I was think they did the same thing,

Simplying adding a 90/10 will tighten entry also

So is this doing the same thing? Adding rebound on 5th as putting 90/10 also some say anything on rearend takes away drive,and how did Bloomquist do with these shock guys i see there not here anymore.

You see who isnt here anymore? The only way a top shock can take away drive is if there is rebound control or it is topping out under acceleration

I believe he is referring to Penske Shocks. They started the thread wanting questions from everybody and has only been on once since. If this is any indication of their service then I'm sure guys will just stick with what they have and the shock guys they have.

Guys, sorry I haven't been on lately.. At Knoxville currently. I will post back to all your questions Monday..As for the rebuild..$50 per shock, includes post Dyno, new shims, oil, and seals...

This is a reply for the above question about the most common mistakes. This is a tough one, when it comes to shocks, i think the biggest mis-conception when discussing shocks is using the number value when explaining damping values. A good race shock, and there are a few out there besides Penske, have so many different damping levels, both low and high speed, you can't really refer to them as a single number. When you take into account the different piston types, along with bleed, and shim combinations, you end up with a limitless variety of damping options.So the biggest mistake is thinking these really good full time racers are running standard off the shelf shocks, some might be, but the good ones, have some one custom tuning their shocks to work with their driver feel and car set-up.

Penske Shocks is looking at having a Seminar at PRI this year pertaining to Latemodel Chassis Set-Up. Please let us know if you will be attending PRI and if you would be interested in attending, we are thinking of having this after the show ends in one of the hotel banquet rooms. We would have dinner catered, also would have special guest speakers.

Stevo, there are a number of reasons we run different set-ups on the 5th. Its not the same everywhere we run. Track condition, banking, length of turn, all play factors in what you want it to do. It is a tuning device. Now obviously there are a lot of areas you can tune with on these cars, and one area will always effect another, so you can just say you should run a certain 5th coil build everywhere, believe me, if it was that easy, everyone would do it. It is like any other corner of the car. Figure out feel wise what you want your car to do. Talk to people to find out a direction, but don't just take someones word, try to figure out what they are telling you to do and why, if they can't tell you why to run a certain shock # or build, best bet is they don't know. Even if it helped them, if they don't know why it helped them, they won't know why its possibly hurting them in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by PenskeShocks View Post
    Penske Shocks is looking at having a Seminar at PRI this year pertaining to Latemodel Chassis Set-Up. Please let us know if you will be attending PRI and if you would be interested in attending, we are thinking of having this after the show ends in one of the hotel banquet rooms. We would have dinner catered, also would have special guest speakers.
    Ill be there ... Where do I sign up ?

Hucktyson, if you email me at ajl@penskeshocks.com, i will send you the info once its finalized.thank you