Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shock Tech Q&A

Ok guys, looks like we will be having a 1hr seminar on either Thursday or Friday at PRI. Shooting for 10 o'clock. Once i have all speakers confirmed i will re-post. Right now it is Penske Shocks, and Hyper Coil Springs. Waiting on confirmation of a few more guest speakers.

PRI is willing to work with us and have the seminar during show hours. we will post official time and date shortly. Tentative we are looking at Friday during PRI from 10-11am. Keep an eye on their seminar schedule. i will re-post as soon as i have an official date/time.

Ok, here is the confirmed information on the PRI Seminar. Hope to see everyone there.Penske Shocks will be holding a seminar at PRI this year. Below is the information. This will be a Latemodel Suspension seminar. Will include representatives from Hyperco Spring, Penske Shocks, and Scott Bloomquist. Hope to see you there!Friday, December 13, 20139:00 am – 10:00 amSeminar Title – “Penske Racing Shocks Short Track/ Latemodel Technology”Meeting Room – 211

do we need to sign up for this or just show up?

Are you sure that the damper was a 90/10? Could it have been a dummy shock to keep the rearend from turning over in case a liftbar broke? It might be something softer ran in conjunction with a softer liftbar shock. Everything is a combination that has to work together

you just have to show up. it is open to everyone. seating for 100.

in what ways do you change your base setup between 4 link and swing arm cars?

BDR, depends on what your trying to achieve by switching. What issues are you having with your current set/up?

Thumbs up attending pri show

Quote Originally Posted by PenskeShocks View Post
    Penske Shocks is looking at having a Seminar at PRI this year pertaining to Latemodel Chassis Set-Up. Please let us know if you will be attending PRI and if you would be interested in attending, we are thinking of having this after the show ends in one of the hotel banquet rooms. We would have dinner catered, also would have special guest speakers.
    will be attending,would love to attend seminar..as a 47 year racefan/driver/crewman/crew chief..everyone has been taught and learned the standard number system because it is extra simple..racing needs as much shock help as we can get..

Please attend, we will have a great panel and will help you understand the shock basics and the different variables. You will easily see why a standard numbering system doesn't begin to tell you what your shocks are.

I have a question what is to tall when talking about bump-stops on the rf of a dirt late model? What is considered to tall for the christmas tree style? Also what happens if the bump-stop is a touch to tall? Thanks

There isn't really a measurement that is too tall. All depends on the track and how much your RF is traveling and when you want to get into the bump stop and how much. In general, if you get into a bump stop too soon, especially in the RF, it will tend to tighten the car up. Bump stops are very tricky, if your running a bump stop set-up you have to be sure you run enough rebound to control the force produced by the bump stop.

Quote Originally Posted by LLOYD-XMAS View Post
    I have a question what is to tall when talking about bump-stops on the rf of a dirt late model? What is considered to tall for the christmas tree style? Also what happens if the bump-stop is a touch to tall? Thanks
    when i first started with the bump stops, mine were to tall, i cut them down a little at a time to get the amount of dive i wanted, then if during hot laps it was diving to much, i would shim it back up, i got all my stuff from re suspension, one thing to remember, if you cut it , it will get stiffer, but with the christmas tree type , it dont effect it much , also the more dive on rt ft, the more rear steer and the freer the car will be

Thanks for the replies.

The question everyone wants to know but afraid to ask, How much RF rebound @1ips for a stack combo? For a conventional 400?

How much rebound do you take out throughout the night as it slicks off?

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    The question everyone wants to know but afraid to ask, How much RF rebound @1ips for a stack combo? For a conventional 400?

How much rebound do you take out throughout the night as it slicks off?
    That is where the crew chief earns his money. There is no one right answer. Your stopwatch, eyes, and the driver determine that for the given track.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I agree with MasterSbilt. There is no right answer, depending on chassis, driver, tire choice, and other factors, it can all vary. There is definitely gains to be had when it comes to zero point rebound, the type of rebound curve being run, whether its digressive or linear. Again may things, 1" velocity is important but its usually because the amount of bleed run in the shock. The proper bleed is more important.

Quote Originally Posted by PenskeShocks View Post
    I agree with MasterSbilt. There is no right answer, depending on chassis, driver, tire choice, and other factors, it can all vary. There is definitely gains to be had when it comes to zero point rebound, the type of rebound curve being run, whether its digressive or linear. Again may things, 1" velocity is important but its usually because the amount of bleed run in the shock. The proper bleed is more important.

I agree, and apologize with the vaugness of the question, But there has to be a "starting point" for weekly guy on a non glass smooth surface? I guess i hoping for an answer that i knew didn't exist.

I have been all over the map on RF rebound and cant put consistent back to back results together to get that "AHA" moment. Am I at least on the right page by taking it out in the slick to add grip?

Has anyone found out what "too much" compression in the LR front is either?

Also by bleed do you mean in the stack or with the needle, or a combination?

Thanks for the reply!
    Last edited by xray; 10-29-2013 at 04:43 AM. Reason: thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    Am I at least on the right page by taking it out in the slick to add grip?
    Do you have so much that the front is ratcheting down? Are you on a paperclip or a momentum deal? The right adjustment on one night at one track can be completely wrong the next night at another track.

It reminds me of the early 4 link days when people argued about cheat sheets that didn't agree. One said stiffer lr spring tightens exit. The other said softer tightens exit. Guess what?, both can be right!
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1