Default 2300 ford overheating help

have a mini stock overheating has new water pump replaced radiator has a double pass radiator has the serpentine pulleys have a1/2 inch socket in the hose as a restrictor has electric fan. any ideas also have a gallon of antifreeze in engine thanks in advance timing set at 35 race gas holley 500 carb plugs doesnt look to be lean

Quote Originally Posted by ministockrcr16 View Post
    have a mini stock overheating has new water pump replaced radiator has a double pass radiator has the serpentine pulleys have a1/2 inch socket in the hose as a restrictor has electric fan. any ideas also have a gallon of antifreeze in engine thanks in advance timing set at 35 race gas holley 500 carb plugs doesnt look to be lean
    REMOVE the socket and install a 5/8" hole restrictor in place of the thermostat...

A 1/2" square hole is .250 square inches and it no doubt has a smaller i.d. than that!
    A 5/8" diameter hole is .306 square inches...

Go with the restrictor and flow the water through the engine better!

Big E is spot on! One additional item. The hose from the bottom of the radiator to the input of the water pump. Is it wire reinforced? If it's a simple rubber hose, back in my beginning 2.0L SOHC Ford days, right in the shop, I've revved the engine to 6500 rpm & watched that lower hose collapse. I was running a good UK/European aluminum water pump. Make sure the lower hose is not collapsing due to good water pump suction! -Dave-

ok thank yall very much yes the lower hose is reinforced with the wire. i will try the 5/8 restrictor thanks for the advice race isnt for a couple more weeks

A 5/8 restrictor is also equal to a 180 degree thermostat also you can buy a larger pulley to slow the pump down and make sure your electric fan is either pulling or pushing enough air to cool the water in the radiator
    Miller

I use gasket from water neck to make copy on aluminum. Cut it out and cut a 5/8 hole in center for water to pass. Place under water neck and silicone good. Radiator fan will pull better than push. Tracks don't like antifreeze in cars. Its very slick and doesn't evaporate. Use plain water or if you must use antifreeze use 50/50 mix.

The best water to use in the cooling system is gallon jug's of distilled water. Because good distilled water does not contain all the minerals of regular tap water, by volume, it absorbs considerably more heat than tap water. Unless you're racing during the freeze months of winter, why do you run anti-freeze? It absorbs, by volume, even less heat than tap water. -Dave-

like others have said, get rid of the coolant and run water and water wetter or like i do a couple table spoons of dish soap. the rest is kind of my own opinion but if your are running over about 6500 then you need to slow down the water pump. with the double pass radiator you shouldn't even need a restrictor and i would dump the electric fan and run a 4 bladed steel one.

olin

I use a double pass radiator, a big E big water pump pulley, NO restrictor, Distilled water, and a none steel plastic race fan. I run 78 to 82 with a 37degree timing and race gas, Never have a problem.
    dr6 motorsports

Just a word of warning, had a brand new radiator from a racing radiator outfit in California that I ran distilled water & Lube Guard water wetter in. After 3 races the car was sitting in the shop and it started leaking from the cooling tubes in 3 spots, corrosion! Called them up and they blamed it on the water wetter and distilled water, out $300 plus dollars!! Ordered radiator from another company in N.C. and now still run distilled water but not the water wetter, use the Solder Seal water pump lube instead, good stuff. Word has it that Water Wetter has changed their chemical formula, if you are set up right then there is no need for water wetter.
    Last edited by number9; 10-15-2013 at 01:12 PM.