Default sport mod motor question

What are the best heads for the sport mods and would a 2 bolt main with a cast crank hold up fine?

For a IMCA sport mod?? If so the EQ IMCA spec head and matched cam is what you want, but don't buy a "cheap" assembled set from speedway or the like, spend the little extra $$ to get good quality parts and a good valve job. Two bolt will hold up just fine. They are often overlooked. I have a bunch of them out there running for several years. Never had any main bearing issues, and they are a little lighter weight as well.

I would use the EQ heads with the Edelbrock 2701 intake like WRH said buy em bare and get them assembled with quality parts so you know what you have and have them measured for cc's they usually run big like 78. The two bolt block will hold up fine I would consider using ARP bolts or studs and having it line bored or honed if you want extra insurance.

So I guess the set of 991's that I have laying around aren't even close to what I need

The 993's are a good head, and will run fine if your on a tight budget. But they will be down on power from a set of EQ's. I sell EQ's for $530 a set bare, but shipping kills the deal... Usually around $1220 assembled with good parts, as thats the only way I put em together.

facebook.com/pages/Weinhold-Racing-Heads/191740434316264

I just have a set laying around in my garage I figured I would get bigger valves put in and resurface them and it depends where your at when it comes to shipping

From all the bench flow charts I've seen the 487x heads flow the same as the EQ's for holley 2 barrel application. Plus you can do a lot more work too them to make them even better. I have a set of nicely massage 487x's and the motor dyno 453 hp. So that is another option as well.