Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rocket Blue violent bouncing back and forth

I ran my first ever late model race this past weekend and my car did ok, but I was having issues on corner entry and middle corner. Here is my setup...

Left %: 54.2
    Rear %: 54.98
    Springs: 500 LF, 375 RF, 250 LR, 225 RR
    Rod Locations (from bottom/total) : LR Top 2/4, LR Bottom 4/6, RR Top 2/3, RR Bottom 2/3

The track was a really small, stop and go type of track. It was tacky most of the night. The problem I was having was when I went into corner entry and tried to get back to the throttle, the car would violently rock back and forth so hard that the only way I could get it to settle down was to completely back off and slow down. It didn't do it that bad all the time, but it would still bounce some even when the car rotated good in the corner. The car was setup to run a slightly bigger, slicker track than the one I ran on, so I knew it wouldn't be a perfect setup underneath it for this track in particular.

The shocks I'm using are double-adj. Afco's and they were set up for more of a slicker track. I didn't adjust the shocks as I just wanted to get some seat time in the car and learn what I needed and not get in over my head in adjustments. I haven't dynoed the shocks but was told by the one that set it up they should be fine.

This week, I'm going to a track to where my car was originally setup for. But what would cause the car to bounce so bad that I would lose my forward drive off the corner? Should I have increased the LR compression and lowered the RR compression on the shocks? Would shocks really cause the car to act that badly if not properly set? I was also told that running an Afco 6-0 shock in front of the LR would help keep the car bouncing as much.

I'm still very new to all this so thank you for any advice.
    Last edited by PushinTheLimit; 10-08-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Bouncing like locked up on the LR bars bouncing or felt like it was the RR bouncing?

I had raised my rear r/h up earlier in the year and it only left about 1.25in before the RR ran out of rebound travel. On a heavy track the RR tries to climb the bars, more so on stop and go tracks than on momentum tracks. When it was heavy/rough i could feel it beating the RR underslung out, i was just along for the ride that night, it was pretty erratic.

Bouncing as in the entire chassis was rocking side to side that it would've thrown me out of my seat if I wasn't strapped in tight. It only did it that bad about 3 times all night, but about 75% of the other times mid corner it was bouncing the rear that you could hear the car trying to drive off, but kept loosing traction.

It was driving off the corners fine (it was still a little tight on corner exit, but decent) but the chassis rocking back and forth would've knocked fillings out of anyone's teeth.
    Last edited by PushinTheLimit; 10-08-2013 at 01:49 PM.

It sounds like you're getting violent hike up causing the whole rear end to get unstable. First of all, put a limiter chain on it to control how much it hikes up. Secondly, slow down the hike by raising your lower left bar on the frame. This rod adjustment will also help with the corner exit tightness issue you described.
    The 6-0 shock in front might also help you as long as it isn't a high gas pressure deal. The 0 isn't really a 0 and it will slow down the hike up. And the 6 will help keep the car more stable on entry but it can also free entry some because it will hold rear steer in the car.

If your on slick track shocks you could have it bouncing because of the shocks especially if you have a soft RF and a full Open on Compression and no rebound LRF it will definitely bounce. Also check J Bar rake that can make you POGO

Sounds like a chain limiter problem to me,shorten your chain

I would recommend having your shocks dyno'd so you atleast have data on them. Shocks can have a huge effect on weight transfer and cause a lot of the issues your describing. I have seen plenty of guys chase their tails and tune around a bad shock set-up. At the very least, have them dyno'd so you can show someone what you really have in them.

Very typical when someone has a slick track setup on a tacky track. Matt49 gave some good info. Limit the hike by controlling it someway by shock/chain. I see scuds using setups for the slickest tracks on tacky ones. Don't work. You have adjustments. Use them.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49
    It sounds like you're getting violent hike up causing the whole rear end to get unstable. First of all, put a limiter chain on it to control how much it hikes up. Secondly, slow down the hike by raising your lower left bar on the frame. This rod adjustment will also help with the corner exit tightness issue you described.
    The 6-0 shock in front might also help you as long as it isn't a high gas pressure deal. The 0 isn't really a 0 and it will slow down the hike up. And the 6 will help keep the car more stable on entry but it can also free entry some because it will hold rear steer in the car.
    Is it ok to put the 6-0 shock in front AND use a limiter chain both together? We currently don't have a chain on the left rear so I'll look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by 7uptruckracer
    If your on slick track shocks you could have it bouncing because of the shocks especially if you have a soft RF and a full Open on Compression and no rebound LRF it will definitely bounce. Also check J Bar rake that can make you POGO.
    I'll be checking the shock settings tomorrow to see where they were all set, but I'm sure it was set to a more slick track setup. I haven't checked the J bar so I'll look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by grt74
    Sounds like a chain limiter problem to me,shorten your chain

Thanks... I need to look into putting one on it since we currently don't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by PenskeShocks
    I would recommend having your shocks dyno'd so you atleast have data on them. Shocks can have a huge effect on weight transfer and cause a lot of the issues your describing. I have seen plenty of guys chase their tails and tune around a bad shock set-up. At the very least, have them dyno'd so you can show someone what you really have in them.

I was hopeing we could get by with these Afco shocks until I decided to go for some Ohlin's or Integra's. I'll check into this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by let-r-eat
    Very typical when someone has a slick track setup on a tacky track. Matt49 gave some good info. Limit the hike by controlling it someway by shock/chain. I see scuds using setups for the slickest tracks on tacky ones. Don't work. You have adjustments. Use them.

Thanks, I guess I just didn't think the shocks and bar settings would cause the car to act as bad as it did on a tight tacky track. This weekend we are going to a track that my car is presently more setup for. I'm going to leave it for the most part alone till we run hotlaps and see how it goes. Then we'll adjust from there.

Look up the Afco M2 Tuning Guide and Settings Guide even it you don't change anything you can familiarize yourself withe their base settings see how the shocks function and how to tune them with clicks. I'd call Rocket as well get their baseline book they will normally mail it for free, Just to see where your car is they also in their new books have all the shock brands you would probably use and the settings they would like

All good stuff above.
    My take is this a result of the lr tire loading and unloading often and hard,increasingly oscillating, it's really hard on the drive line. I'd bet you have a large gap between the spring and the coil over nut on the lr with a 250 there. You probably have multiple issues going on, but are really lacking in shock rebound on the lr.

Get on a baseline Rocket deal.

It's absolutely okay to run a chain AND a shock in front. The chain should be tied off at the axle tube, not the birdcage.
    People will disagree with me on this but I think running a chain is an absolute must on the LR for two reasons:
    1) If you rely on a shock to limit travel you will cause damage to your shock. Not sure about anybody else but I think what we pay for shocks is insane and I'm certainly not going to put one through that kind of abuse.
    2) If you use anything mounted to the birdcage (like a shock) to limit travel, you will get inconsistent results as you make bar angle or length adjustments. This is why you want your chain hooked to the axle tube. There are several nice kits out there. We use the one from PPM but there are equal if not better ones available.

Not to get ahead of ourselves but adjusting travel limit on the LR can be a very valuable tuning tool also.

Thanks Matt. I actually live just 30 mins from PPM and seen their chain limiter kit. I'll give them a call and see what they can get me for this weekend.

Can any of you Rocket guys give the man a measurement from the bottom of the frame rail to the top of the axle tube so that when he does get a chain he knows where to set it?

Depends on what car Black rocket is 13-14 depending on if your running LRU Shortner. Underslung is one drop and Orange and Blue are another I can when I get home!!

I have a Rocket Blue. PPM had two different chain kits, one that went around the bearing, and the other around the axle. I ordered the one that just went around the axle for now. Any measurements would be very helpful... thanks everyone!

By the way, pardon my ignorance, but what is underslug? That's a new term to me.
    Last edited by PushinTheLimit; 10-09-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PushinTheLimit View Post
    I have a Rocket Blue. PPM had two different chain kits, one that went around the bearing, and the other around the axle. I ordered the one that just went around the axle for now. Any measurement would be very helpful... thanks everyone!

By the way, pardon my ignorance, but what is underslug? That's a new term to me.
    underslung means you have a frame rail/ tube running front to back under your axle tube, ive never run a limiter chain on an under slung chassis, i make sure that with the lf rear at full drop and the right side jacked up, the left shock is not bottoming out, essentially your using the frame as a limiter. a chassis that is not underslung has nothing below the axle and you really need a chain or you could destroy a shock . also on my underslung chassis i wrap a piece of roll bar padding around the lower rail to help cushion the impact. also i saw where some one is making a thing like a spring rubber to put there, been meaning to check on one, good luck

Ok, now I understand. This car isn't an underslung chassis. I also called Rocket Chassis and have them send me their setup book. Hopefully we can get my car ready for this Saturday and I will update this thread with the changes I made and how it worked.

If your shocks are built for slick tracks and adjusted slick , you probably have very little rebound on the left front and left rear. Even if you go to the larger track , hot laps might produce same effect , maybe less violent. I would get ready to add rebound. Also your corner entrance can effect chassis badly. If you are letting it drop off the bars , then turning , them nailing the fuel , wuppy , hang on. Ensure you are entering on the fuel and brakes before getting off fuel. You must be on the fuel or the brakes and turning at same time or you will drop off the bars. Also tighten up compression on left rear behind to help keeping it on the bars.

there sounds like there could be a couple of things going on,ill bet that if you put the car on jack stands and put a jack under the rr and raise it like the car is in the corner the lr birdcage is over indexing(just 1 thing that came to mind)also like some of the other guys have said it will kill your lr shocks over time,so that being said i would never run the car without a chain limiter and it is a very useful tool,now once you put a chain on it,if the car looses forward drive youll have to find it somewhere else,i would work there 1st if the car is good at your home track