Default Stock 400 block build

I have a stock 400 block 2 bolt main. Stock stroke 400 steel crank , 6" rods, dome pistons and 30 over bore. I guess what i am asking is what kind of heads and cam could i use to make as much hp with out it blowing it up. I can use aluminum heads and roller cam. Thanks for any reply.

You can try to use it,but end the end you will be way better off with an aftermarket block. Put alot of compression and gear and you will end up with a split cylinder and ruin your nice heads and roller cam.jmo

2 bbl class you will will ok I think, I had the same thing and went to modified, roller cam, aluminum heads 13.1 compression, turned it 7200 rpm, lasted one season and cracked 3 main caps, motor guy said with that much motor need aftermarket block. And this motor was only 600-650 hp

If it's a 509 block I wouldn't be afraid of running it as long as you stud the bottom and install splayed caps and a atrap accross the rear main we have done this with several modified/street stock engines that were between 13 and 14to 1 and never had any issues with the block.

So what if i got the compression down to some where around 10 1/2 or 11:1, 630 or so lift on the cam and *23 heads 202,160 valves ? I know i wont be a monster but would it hold together at 7500 rpm's ? The reason I'm asking this is there will be a driver in the car that has not been in a mod b4. I don't want to put too much under the hood for him right now.
    Last edited by badfast47; 10-15-2013 at 04:24 PM.

The 509 and 817 blocks have seemed to be better than others but any of them can break if there are weak spots. If he doesn't need the hp right away, it would live longer if you don't push it IMO.

I have a 380 ci 2bbl motor in here for a freshen. The 400 block is full of cracks and had water in the oil. I'm replacing it with an SHP. Those 400 blocks are over 40 yrs. old and were never used in anything as a performance motor. It's not worth the gamble. When it breaks, it takes a lot of expensive parts with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodz View Post
    I have a 380 ci 2bbl motor in here for a freshen. The 400 block is full of cracks and had water in the oil. I'm replacing it with an SHP. Those 400 blocks are over 40 yrs. old and were never used in anything as a performance motor. It's not worth the gamble. When it breaks, it takes a lot of expensive parts with it.
    Dart is offering an SHP block with 400 mains.

Do you know when they will be available?

I will find out and let you know.

They will be running the next run after the 350 SHP main block. Get your order in with your local dealer before the end of the year .