Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default UMP lower control arm rule

Rule book says as of 1-1-14 only stock ump approved lowers. Had a guy tell me they have been putting this in the rule book every year and not enforcing it. Anybody have any input on this?

Dont want to spend the $ on aftermarket lowers and not be able to use them.

car builders, at least the one I buy from has to send a set of tubular lowers to UMP to be approved. so it doesn't necessarily have to be stock but must be approved. once approved the car builder agrees not to alter. Really what is comes down to is the $10 sticker that's put on them.

P.) Alterations and/or relocation of the lower A-frames will not be permitted. DIRTcar approved after-market
    lower control arms, which are mounted in the OEM location and maintaining the OEM Manufacturer will be
    permitted. All after-market lower control arms must have an official DIRTcar-approved and numbered decal
    displayed for ease of inspection at all times.

i wish they would go to stock lowers or at least not let everyone run ford lowers on a metric front car.

What is the difference in that and a metric running nova lowers?

Huge difference

Who cares. Get rid of the stupid front clips all together! Easier to build and fix and cheaper. Have a track width rule and race!

So where do you draw the line? Why is it ok for someone to put Nova lowers on a metric that are not meant for that clip, but another guy can't run fords on his metric clip? At the end of the day both guys are running lowers that are not meant for that particular clip right? Then you have the chevelle clips that come in a dozen pieces that make it a lot easier and less noticeable to cheat up... I'm all for the tubular clips! I think it "should" be cheaper and easier to repair. Theses old metric frames are getting hard to find anymore.... Something is going to have to happen eventually or we will all be running chevelle clips in the future do to them being remanufactured. I think these chassis builders starting to use the ford clips are on the right track for now.... But eventually they will dry up too. There is just to much (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) time and work involved in prepping these factory clips for the jig.

They should use the LM bare chassis but with all the mod rules .

What ford lowers fit metric clip

I agree with the fabricated clips , but one thing about using late model frames is that they have rack and pinions. They don't have places for steering boxes, and are not the right width for steering and drag links. I don't think we want to be banging wheels with steel wheels and small tires with rack and pinions. I havnt raced a late model since 87 when we had racks with no power steering, and my wrists still hurts from it. That was with big ole marshmellow tires that cushioned the steering feedback.

Ford LTD (Big Ford) fit JBH25 its like an 18" arm a lot do it for trackwidth

7uptruckracer they will fit on the small 80s model metrics

some run a ford ltd right front and a Camaro lf. you have to move the right lower mount(which is bending the he11 out of the rule). this class was designed so guys could go to the junkyard for parts you could mix and match what ever you wanted I rather take a step back to that than go the way of the latemodel. which around here is pretty much dead. we have moved to fare in that direction already.
    Last edited by racin6mod; 10-23-2013 at 06:27 PM.

has anyone run the lowers from UB Machine? Curious how well they hold up, for a fabricated lower the price seems pretty decent......

http://ubmachine.com/lowerump.html

If you can actually get your stuff from UB lemme know I waited 3-4 Months on an upper A arm once and I had to call them about it they couldn't even call me I cancelled the order after all that time then all the sudden it shows up on my card and the arm came, It was made poorly, the slugs didn't fit and the slugs were hand drilled and cracked. You get what you pay for

I love my stuff from Keyser's Port City Racing

What stock oem lowers do fit a metric chassis? "key is oem replacement"

All the Metric stuff big and small and big ford fit the physical mounts, I believe the ford you need to realign your buckets, but they all bolt up some have a difference pin location so you change wheelbase and some aren't as long they vary from 16-18" I believe it is. I think the list is camaro, Ford Ltd, Impala, nova, and chevelle are the most used. The G body stuff fits as welll, like monte carlo and s-10. now what bolt ons like calipers and what not as well as what ball joints fit the sleeve and what heights you need to work with different spindles thats a different story and why the builders get paid to do the hard work lol

Quote Originally Posted by 7uptruckracer View Post
    All the Metric stuff big and small and big ford fit the physical mounts, I believe the ford you need to realign your buckets, but they all bolt up some have a difference pin location so you change wheelbase and some aren't as long they vary from 16-18" I believe it is. I think the list is camaro, Ford Ltd, Impala, nova, and chevelle are the most used. The G body stuff fits as welll, like monte carlo and s-10. now what bolt ons like calipers and what not as well as what ball joints fit the sleeve and what heights you need to work with different spindles thats a different story and why the builders get paid to do the hard work lol
    Are u saying stock location lower mounts that oem impala and ford lowers will fit? Without modification?