Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hmmm... good points to ponder...??? Thanks guys... I appreciate every reply...

Quote Originally Posted by DRTRCR22 View Post
    I've been racing mods a long time, but they are starting a new late model class here locally and I am ready to move up. Since budget is real tight making this switch to a starter car, I am looking at an 02 Rayburn that is available for a decent price. Can anyone offer anything good or bad about them (early Rayburn) ...???How about any other brands pre-2007...? why or why not...???Thanks for any input, I appreciate your help...
    I personally like the Rayburns from 01' forward, especially 03' & 04'(104). They get knocked on a lot by the 4 bar devotees, but I think its they don't understand them and just regurgitate tired second hand info they once heard. Swing arms are basic and simple, not unlike the leaf car you mentioned, 4 links of any make are complex and require considerable time and experience with them to get and stay fast. JMO

I find swingarms to be very forgiving and easy to set up . I am not sure if they can run with a well setup seasoned 4 bar driver tho. I have no experience with Lates , nor do I want any. But I will be playing with Swingarm again in Mods eventually as I think they can still be competitive . I do not think they are as crisp and quick to respond as 4 bar . However Sweeny kicked it in a Swingarm Nullinski Mod years ago that still has me interested in their ability. I HATE 4-BAR so far !

One a dry slick track it is very difficult for a swing arm to keep with a good 4 bar car. Not saying it cannot be done, but it is not done often.

If your starting out get the 4 bar car and learn to drive it right from the start, learn it, most that don't like a 4 bar either have not driven a good one or have had limited experience. I find the same guys at least that I know hate slick tracks also.

Rayburn is pushing 4 bar on new cars, so even the last of the 4 bar hold outs is coming around. Swing arms may come back but for now more speed on slick can be found easier with the 4 bar.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroracing View Post
    One a dry slick track it is very difficult for a swing arm to keep with a good 4 bar car. Not saying it cannot be done, but it is not done often. If your starting out get the 4 bar car and learn to drive it right from the start, learn it, most that don't like a 4 bar either have not driven a good one or have had limited experience. I find the same guys at least that I know hate slick tracks also. Rayburn is pushing 4 bar on new cars, so even the last of the 4 bar hold outs is coming around. Swing arms may come back but for now more speed on slick can be found easier with the 4 bar.
    Rayburn is in the business of selling cars so he has to sell what people will buy, its that simple. The trend is 4 link and they do work as long as you have an expensive shock package to control all that motion. I've worked on everything from Reverse cantilever to mono-leaf to 4 link to swing arm and of those I liked the swing arm best. I will concede when its dry slick they struggle for side bite, but I think that's fixable. I myself am in the process of building a strictly z-link car that I think will strike a balance between 4-link and swing arm. My biggest issue with 4-link is the j-bar and the tendency they have of flipping over with current setups, that's my issue, I don't like them from a safety standpoint...

With the slow economy I would call some of the smaller builders and talk with them and see what they can do on a new chassis. I know of a couple guys getting super deals in new chassis right now, it's a buyers market.

Smile older late model

I`VE got the perfect car for you to learn in...It`s a 03 swartz. I can sell it you any way you want . With more spare parts then a rookie needs caal me at 815-291-6016 before 230pm central or ant time on the weekends

Default Mastersbilts

I have friend that has a couple of Mastersbilts in the year range you are looking for, give him a call 320-219-3542 nice cars at good price!!

Well, I took your advice guys and drove 15+ hours to Iowa to buy an older 2000 Swartz car. It was not as new or as nice as he said, but it was ok for the price I got it for...? Then, before I could even get home with it I had race buddies who know about Swartz cars hounding me to buy it from me. When I got home they were standing at my door with cash in hand plus all my travel costs money, so to help bolster our new venture I sold it to them, and turned around and bought an '09 MastersBilt by Mars turn key sellout from Denver CO. I will keep collecting leads to help other local guys get into DLMs for our venture, and have been passing on all you guy's advice to others here looking. Again I thank each and every one of you for all your advice and recommendations... Jim

You should have got another Swartz

Quote Originally Posted by DRTRCR22 View Post
    Well, I took your advice guys and drove 15+ hours to Iowa to buy an older 2000 Swartz car. It was not as new or as nice as he said, but it was ok for the price I got it for...? Then, before I could even get home with it I had race buddies who know about Swartz cars hounding me to buy it from me. When I got home they were standing at my door with cash in hand plus all my travel costs money, so to help bolster our new venture I sold it to them, and turned around and bought an '09 MastersBilt by Mars turn key sellout from Denver CO. I will keep collecting leads to help other local guys get into DLMs for our venture, and have been passing on all you guy's advice to others here looking. Again I thank each and every one of you for all your advice and recommendations... Jim
    Those Swartz cars were some wheelie pulling SOBs! I think a guy could really do something with one and the new information that is out there.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Those Swartz cars were some wheelie pulling SOBs! I think a guy could really do something with one and the new information that is out there.
    Yes they were.. They were a very throttle tight car and I agree with the latest technology and shock packages I think somebody could make one hell of a car

I bought a 1998 Rocket two years ago, car was an ex Rocket house car driven by Tim Hitt. The car was straight and hadn't been raced for a few years so I'm sure that helped the life of it. It had never been updated so I welded in the safety bars on the cage and put the shortened right front shock mount on it. I've stayed relatively competitive with it winning 3 features with it so far. It makes more traction than any other car I've drove. So moral of the story, Newer isn't always better.