Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I think we need to remember that these race cars are more of a wedge than they are a wing. Think of sticking your hand out the car window while going down the road. If you put the front of your hand down the force of the air on the top of your hand pushes it down, if you put the front up it goes up. The bottom of these cars is too irregular to efficiently use the air traveling underneath so we put the nose as close to the ground as we can to minimize the air and therefore turbulence under the car. The attitude of these cars going down the track maximizes the surface area used for down force.

Very interesting topic I finally finished reading through. Now I know coming from asphalt aero grip is the best grip to have for certain conditions. For example a car that had the Hp and tq we wanted maximum downforce to an extent of track configuratin(straight aways vs corners). With lower Hp cars this made a huge difference on aero set ups. I am not a late model racer on dirt but a modified guy and just finished building our new body for this year. The vacuum under the car is very interesting and after reading about the string theory we may just try this and film. Another question I think would be great to answer is a general or close to accurate scale as to how to measure down force by surface area, angle, and speed. Now I know air density plays a factor but not sure as to how much. I know for our modified when we get down on the rf the hood lines up with the tire with a 45* trying to alleviate getting air under the car even if its a minimal amount. Also, with sail panels are you guys seeing a huge difference removing them handling wise? I can see that this may cause an issue on cars possibly to tight in corner due to the side force generated. In the end though I believe on dirt maximum down force is what any car should have balanced of course.

Guys,

Nose people: I was chatting for 10 mins with my local aero guy yesterday about basics of splitter sensitivities. For the Bernoulli people - To find out how much effect the under splitter flow has on down force, he quickly focused on the position of the Stagnation point. This point will determine how much air is going to be forced under versus going over the car if we were just looking at a 2D plane. If the stagnation point is low, then less volume of flow will be directed under the car....kind of like a Y in the road. Basically blunt noses like NASCAR/street cars will force more under the car than a wedge nose DLM.

So we are different than Cup data, and look a little closer to some other forms of racing, but without tight clearance control. Then the conversation turned to valence on or off......and his distraction looking at picture of our standard rear spoiler designs.

Ghopper

I have thought on this subject more than a couple times. It is the difference in pressure that creates down force. We could not or even want to eliminate all under car air, that is what cools the engine. With that said, the efficient evacuation of this air with a venturi effect is what creates more or less down force. The same thing that sucks your gas out of the float bowls and into the rapid moving air of the carb throats. You have two maybe three areas where you have rapidly moving air converging with the under car air. The front and top of the front wheel wells, the rear spoiler and to some extent the left rear quarter area. If these spots promote evacuation, you will have down force and a better cooling car to boot. If the car cools better, you can use that bonus to cut down under car air.

I should remind you that Chad Kanaus got a 30 day vacation for reshaping the front fenders of Jimmy Johnson's car in precisely this area. Just something to think on.

Check out these pics of Bloomers car from Batesville last year:
    http://www.latemodelphotos.com/2013/...18/i-w9KmHg4/A
    http://www.latemodelphotos.com/2013/...18/i-w9KmHg4/A

Notice anything interesting about the fender flares? Not exactly a matching set.
    Makes sense if you think about what he's trying to do with that.
    Also notice that his center spoiler brace is trimmed down so that it doesn't block air from getting to the spoiler when the car is yawed.