Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NEW UPDATES / Blue front Rocket

From fall of 2009 was there much of updates on the Blue/ grey Rocket. I heard something about the rack being raised like a inch and the engine also raised. Making the older racks not useable. Looking to see if my car is in need of change so it's a little more driver friendly. Had a bad start of the year and never caught up. The car is a real workout and was thinking of trying a chassis change. I ran the blue spots on the spindle and never tried the gray. I heard it slows it down a lot? The rack is a 3.3/4 Sweet and like a 230 servo I think with a krc pump. Maybe I just need to get back to the gym.

A faster rack would help, most are 4.0 or 4.19 nowadays. Last year they raised the rack but not for drivability, just for ground clearence, it really is not necessary. Our old 09 car was great, just got beatup a bit too much.

Quote Originally Posted by wismadman View Post
    From fall of 2009 was there much of updates on the Blue/ grey Rocket. I heard something about the rack being raised like a inch and the engine also raised. Making the older racks not useable. Looking to see if my car is in need of change so it's a little more driver friendly. Had a bad start of the year and never caught up. The car is a real workout and was thinking of trying a chassis change. I ran the blue spots on the spindle and never tried the gray. I heard it slows it down a lot? The rack is a 3.3/4 Sweet and like a 230 servo I think with a krc pump. Maybe I just need to get back to the gym.
    I used to run a 4.0 with a 220 servo. I changed the pinion to a 4.5 and kept the 220 servo. I love it.

I thought my (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) was fast, I had a 3.0 in my Grt's. Wow guess i'm getting old. But I double checked and yea I have 3.75 with a 220 servo on one and a 235 or something on the other one.

R.A.CK. is a bad word wow.

What about running the gray over blue?

What do the numbers mean on the rack and servo? Is 4.0 or 4.19 the ratio? 230 the pressure in lbs? What is the effect of different combinations?
    Thanks.

The 4.19 is the number of inches the rack moves per turn and the .230 is this thickness of the torsion bar inside the servo that twists when the wheel is turned to direct the pressurized fluid to assist. The smaller the bar the more assist you have

what is the turn. If i remember right the wheel will only turn 360 degrees lock to lock.

what is the turn. If i remember right the wheel will only turn 360 degrees lock to lock.
    A turn is 360 degrees. The ratio is how much linear movement the rack has per one rotation of the pinion. Most higher ratio racks will top/bottom out before one complete 360 degree turn of the pinion. That's normal.

So. Just saying.... if mine turns 360 degrees with a 3.75 ratio. The 4.19 will only turn 300 degrees? Depending on the size of the wheel too.

The wheels turn the same amount with less input from the steering wheel ...

So. Just saying.... if mine turns 360 degrees with a 3.75 ratio. The 4.19 will only turn 300 degrees? Depending on the size of the wheel too.
    Size of the steering wheel is completely irrelevant.

If you go to a higher ratio, the wheel will stop turning (rack run out of travel) sooner (less than 360 degrees).

size of the wheel is def not irrelevant...acts no different than a taller gear on a sprocket. takes less input to turn the wheel same amount as a smaller steering wheel would...

It is irrelevant with their explanation. They are talking about one turn of steering as in how the racks are rated one rack turn not one steering wheel turn. The rack ratio is based off one turn on the rack. You physical steering wheel will turn different depending on size a 12" might go around a few times where a 17" wont. The Rocket Book tells you what servo and rack they recommend. Wheel choice is up to you but most run 17", 15" if they don't have the room

Quote Originally Posted by 7uptruckracer View Post
    It is irrelevant with their explanation. They are talking about one turn of steering as in how the racks are rated one rack turn not one steering wheel turn. The rack ratio is based off one turn on the rack. You physical steering wheel will turn different depending on size a 12" might go around a few times where a 17" wont. The Rocket Book tells you what servo and rack they recommend. Wheel choice is up to you but most run 17", 15" if they don't have the room
    Sorry but this is completely wrong.
    If a 12" steering wheel goes 360 degrees to max out a rack movement, then a 17" steering wheel will also go 360 degrees to max out the same rack. I'll bet literally any amount of money on this.

Matt is right - The distance the steering shaft travels is not dependent on the size of the steering wheel. A larger wheel will make the final ratio slower because in 1 revolution a 12" wheel would move 75.36" and a 17" wheel would move 106.76" but it will not change how far the shaft travels from lock to lock.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by 7uptruckracer View Post
    You physical steering wheel will turn different depending on size a 12" might go around a few times where a 17" wont
    Wow........

You guys have linear movement confused with rotation movement.

The bigger the wheel the more your hand has to move to complete a revolution. The number of revolutions is constant when expressing a ratio in this discussion. There are two ways to accomplish the task of moving your hands less. You can get a smaller wheel or you can increase the ratio of the rack. A combination of both is most likely.

Thanks for the bashing I'm trying to talk about if someone is in the car and using their hands as a guide of how their rack has changed all the different explanations are confusing people myself included. I was trying to say a wheel is irreverent because it won't make a rack travel any more or less but your hands will change how much they move if you change wheel sizes.