Default IMCA Hobbystock Transmission

Currently run a Saginaw 3 speed in the car. Considering switching to a powerglide. Have been told that it will be quicker on the restarts and better comming out of corner. Looking for some more input on this. Would it be worth the expense to change?

Yes its worth switching. The complete set-up will also end up being about 30lbs lighter. That assumes your 3spd currently has the lightest legal flywheel.
    It needs to be a race prepped, Direct drive powerglide (Bushore) with the small dummy converter if you race IMCA or just a coupler if your rules don't require a converter.
    Restart quicker, come off the corner quicker and you can also drive it deeper into the corner. Driving it in deeper is what I noticed the most when switching. Eric

Thanks Eric for the response. I am taking your advice and going to switch next season.

A dummy converter is NOT IMCA legal.

how much does a legal powerglide weigh? i had a tci powerglide of a friends we threw on scales and it was 91lbs with no converter. is that typical?

Don't forget to buy an extra to haul around with you too! Pg is lighter, not as durable though. Seems like I see a lot of pg's changed in the pits.
    It'll be fine

PG durability shouldn't be a problem if good parts are used and it's put together right....although I have never run a direct drive. I'd still expect to get a full season before worrying about the low band or drum unless you use the trans to pull the car onto your trailer (should be winching it on and off). The rest of the setup should go at least two seasons between overhauls.

Quote Originally Posted by stockcar5 View Post
    how much does a legal powerglide weigh? i had a tci powerglide of a friends we threw on scales and it was 91lbs with no converter. is that typical?

yes, that sounds right.

My bushore glide has aprox 175 nights on it. It has never let me down once. I cracked the case in it with about 100 nights on it because I broke a transmission mount with 2 laps to go, it was vibrating like crazy but I was passing for second and made the pass for the win coming off 4 on the last lap.
    Bushore re-cased it and put a new reverse clutch in. That was 75 nights ago. Doubt I will even change the fluid for next year, lol.

IMCA hobby DOES allow a dummy converter. It has to be a min of 10" dia and have min 3qts of fluid in it at all times. Eric

Must be unaltered OEM, with unaltered OEM pump, original bellhousing and minimum 10 inch diameter torque converter containing a minimum of three quarts of fluid - $150
    fine if illegal. Torque converter must have a minimum 0.125 inch plug. In IMCA hobby stock, a dummy converter is NOT legal, just because it doesnt say it does not mean it is. There is a 150$ fine for not having a working TC.

It does NOT say must have a working torque converter. It says 10", 3qts of fluid and 1/8" plug. No where does it says the T/C has to function. Sometime they say the car must idle in all gears but that's easy to do with idle rpm and band adjustment.
    I assure you MANY people are running a dummy converter and have passed tech at the biggest IMCA shows around. Eric

Quote Originally Posted by C10 View Post
    Must be unaltered OEM, with unaltered OEM pump, original bellhousing and minimum 10 inch diameter torque converter containing a minimum of three quarts of fluid - $150
    fine if illegal. Torque converter must have a minimum 0.125 inch plug. In IMCA hobby stock, a dummy converter is NOT legal, just because it doesnt say it does not mean it is. There is a 150$ fine for not having a working TC.
    U r out of touch on this one.

srx is right. direct drives idle in gear with a coupler, NOBODY is running a functioning converter.

Well I guess then that Tom Gutowski, Kirk Neihouse, myself, and the other IMCA techs should stop looking for them then.