Default Hyper Piston life

What be the life of a set of Speedpro hypers every nite turned 6400 to 6800 rpm I can replace them for a 100 dollars for a set on E Bay. I do not want to jerk a wrist pin out as I have already done this on a set that ran 2 seasons killing the motor. The motor is a 60 over 350 425 lift rule smog head motor I am going to pull pan and check bearings this winter I do not think motor needs refreshing just gonna check everything.

Quote Originally Posted by RW57 View Post
    What be the life of a set of Speedpro hypers every nite turned 6400 to 6800 rpm I can replace them for a 100 dollars for a set on E Bay. I do not want to jerk a wrist pin out as I have already done this on a set that ran 2 seasons killing the motor. The motor is a 60 over 350 425 lift rule smog head motor I am going to pull pan and check bearings this winter I do not think motor needs refreshing just gonna check everything.
    when i first started racing i built my motors with speed pro hypers. i would get about 15 nights before they pulled pins out. after 2 blown motors i went to forged and never looked back. One set of forged i had i got over 200 nights on them before i sold them.

On our new motor I am gonna use the TRW forged 4 vr pistons I have found them for 200 a set . Our rules say pistons must be hypers but I am just gonna chance it I do not know what the big deal is with the pistons same deal with cyl heads smog heads cut to 70 cc or engine quest or world products replacement heads, I can buy a new set of vortechs from scoggins (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ey for less money than either one of them. It will cost about 450 to get a set of 887's fixed with my engine guy helping us out at that,Promoters are supposed to be helping me save money but everything they do costs me more money LOL???

First motor I built was a stock beast. Had a cast crank turned 20/10 X rods with speedpro hypers. Put about 30 nights on it turning 6800. By standard I got lucky but it sure would pull against the 406's and 383's with ease. I'll never race it again, however I do plan to put it in a street rod. I been debating on when I pull it apart to change cam and freshen just grab one of those economy forged bottom end sets from competition products for peice of mind Ya know. Not that it's going to see 6800 rpm much but it could
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

This motor is a 1500$ grenade it is not even balanced when I tell someone what it cost they look at me like I am crazy this after it just pulled their 7500$ top of the line motor 2 car lengths down the straight LOL!!!!. Here is what I am wrestling with the last motor I built years ago that was top of the line would not fall out of a tree . For what it will cost to do one around 4500$ I am figuring I can build 3 of these we are a bucks down team as my son drives now I help with the motors gonna decide soon which way we are gonna go may go in between and maybe get this one balanced anyway.

I have used hypers either KB or Sealed power in engines that run up to 7000 for up 80 nites and have never pulled a pin out of the bottom you just have to make sure you have enough ring gap and at least .0007 to .0015 clearance on the wrist pin and you will not have any issues most parts failures are not fault of the part itself unless you are putting out a bunch of power and compression.

Haha mine wasn't balanced either. Ya they always wondered what that was about when a lil 358 would smoke em. I don't think I would run that type of motor anymore unless it was in a claimed class with 2bbls at the least try for even the cheap forged stuff it's not the best route but it's got to be better then hyper and cast.
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

have KB hypers I've run for two seasons,derek is dead on with the ring gap...needs to be right! good crank, good rods ,cheap pistons and balanced has worked for me!!