Thread: V6 rods

Default V6 rods

I seen some of you guys talking about using v6 rods in a 2.3 what v6 rods can I use and what pistons thanks

i know the 2300 uses the same rod as the chevy 250cid straight 6 but they are both 5.700 but the 6 cyl are a 2.0 rod journal
    Miller

Quote Originally Posted by millerlt3 View Post
    i know the 2300 uses the same rod as the chevy 250cid straight 6 but they are both 5.700 but the 6 cyl are a 2.0 rod journal
    Please let me make a correction here... The Chevy Inline 6 cylinder engines have a rod that is 5.700" long, and some companies (Speedway) do rework them to fit in a Ford 2300, but you can't just use them as they come out of an engine without additional machinework. The Chevy I6 rods are too wide on the big-end, so they have to be narrowed and re-chamfered. With the inexpensive aftermarket rods available now for the Ford 2300, there's just no need to waste time and money re-working a Chevy rod just to have a rod that's no stronger than a stock Ford 2300 rod! I mean, you can buy a set of 5.7" rods for a Ford 2300 for $225/set that are stronger AND don't require the crank to be ground in any special manner like the Chevy rods do!

also consider that once you pay to have the rods narrowed,have the crank turned down to 2.000 and polished,you will also want good rod bolts which are another $55-ish...so the aftermarket rod(if rules allow) is the no brainer way to go,and the durability is definately a plus.
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

Not to mention if you hone them to float the wristpin? .927 pin that needs a piston for the .927 pin
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

When reworking stock rods and deburring the beams, do not remove that small bump where the oil squirt hole is.