Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrunner35 View Post
    If he is tight already wouldn't more right front weight make the car tighter ???
    If you increase the RF spring rate, it will increase wedge during both lateral and rear to front weight transfer. This loosens the entry and tightens exit. Since he said the car was ok on the big track, I wouldn't do a spring change, but go to a softer extension shock on LR so the car sees the RF faster and to a very small degree more compression on that RF spring. It will loosen the entry and get the car rocked back on the LR faster. Leafs are pigs by design, typically over sprung and over shocked.
    Gator Engineering

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBauerSS6 View Post
    The 3 being compression and 5 extension, going to a 3 extension the car will roll to the right faster and roll to the front faster. this will loosen the entry and the middle.

The rear springs are too stiff. Put 150 across the rear, go to 40 bite to start.

As derek said, a little rear steer will help some.
    Thanks for the help guys....

Thumbs up

Thanks.. And how much should i pull the rr back i have it back an 3/4 inch rgt now all the time...Thanks

[QUOTE=DaveBauerSS6;1751421]If you increase the RF spring rate, it will increase wedge during both lateral and rear to front weight transfer. This loosens the entry and tightens exit. Since he said the car was ok on the big track, I wouldn't do a spring change, but go to a softer extension shock on LR so the car sees the RF faster and to a very small degree more compression on that RF spring. It will loosen the entry and get the car rocked back on the LR faster. Leafs are pigs by design, typically over sprung and over shocked.[/QUR

Read this and tell me what you think. http://www.auto-ware.com/autoware-bi...mes;read=18963

Good read.
    Leafs cant be tuned as a bar car; a coil spring and short bars are mechanically different.

Agreed that more bite will loosen the entry; and increasing the RF spring rate will loosen the entry, in theory.

More LR extension keeps dynamic weight on the LR.

The fronts steer the car unless the rears are over driving them. This is based on assuming the front steering is correct, and the op said his car was good on the other track. In this case I think by changing the extension two things happen. Weight is reduced off the LR taking bite out, weight is increased on RF. The the benefit of increase in RF weight over comes the loss in bite and the car turns.

I have used this adjustment and it worked, maybe some other factors were involved and that contributed to it working. As it was discussed in the link, I think the shock mfgs and the experts differ on results due to the other variables.

As Jeff said on his setup, a lot of combos will work and it may take a different adjustment to fine tune it.

Try it if it doesn't work move on; if its good its a easy change between tracks.
    Gator Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by frontrunner View Post
    Thanks.. And how much should i pull the rr back i have it back an 3/4 inch rgt now all the time...Thanks
    That's the most Ive ever ran. I run a minimum of 1/4 inch and wont go over 1/2 inch any more.
    Gator Engineering

Good read.
    Leafs cant be tuned as a bar car; a coil spring and short bars are mechanically different.

Agreed that more bite will loosen the entry; and increasing the RF spring rate will loosen the entry, in theory.

More LR extension keeps dynamic weight on the LR.

The fronts steer the car unless the rears are over driving them. This is based on assuming the front steering is correct, and the op said his car was good on the other track. In this case I think by changing the extension two things happen. Weight is reduced off the LR taking bite out, weight is increased on RF. The the benefit of increase in RF weight over comes the loss in bite and the car turns.

I have used this adjustment and it worked, maybe some other factors were involved and that contributed to it working. As it was discussed in the link, I think the shock mfgs and the experts differ on results due to the other variables.

As Jeff said on his setup, a lot of combos will work and it may take a different adjustment to fine tune it.

Try it if it doesn't work move on; if its good its a easy change between tracks.
    So your saying reducing the extension or rebound on the lr takes weight off the tire ???

Yes. Just like the motion examples on the scales that Canuck was using on that link. Now magnify the examples by the force of a 2500# car rolling into the corner. There is a compounding effect with more momentum. He uses the word momentary for the time of change because he is waiting on all 4 corners to relax on the scales.Correct for the example, but on track that change lasts as long as the force of the RF spring stops compressing.

Trying the best I can to answer.
    Gator Engineering

I was just wondering how a 3-9 shock would work on the LR.
    Gator Engineering

I have tried all kinds of shocks on the rear of a leaf car. I have found that the less shock you give the left rear (like a 93) the more that leaf and corner likes it. However, keep in mind that to much or to little leaf spring rate can really throw a wrench in things.

As in 9-3 which valving bilstein or other?

Yes. Just like the motion examples on the scales that Canuck was using on that link. Now magnify the examples by the force of a 2500# car rolling into the corner. There is a compounding effect with more momentum. He uses the word momentary for the time of change because he is waiting on all 4 corners to relax on the scales.Correct for the example, but on track that change lasts as long as the force of the RF spring stops compressing.

Trying the best I can to answer.
    In his example the more rebound on a corner reduces the cross weight

Shock is a 9 length and a straight 3 valving. Bilstein it would be a 30-30. I have found over the years that a twin tube shock works better on leaf springs. Gas pressure does not let them move as freely. Others may have a different experience.
    Last edited by dirtrace09; 12-09-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling

What would the car act like on dryslick if I was to try a 20/60 on lr and a 40/10 on rr would that tighten the car up coming out if the corner? These are bilstein numbers

Thumbs up

Witch one would give more lr bite on exit a 93 or a 95 shock on the lr of a leaf spring car??? Thanks

Witch one would give more lr bite on exit a 93 or a 95 shock on the lr of a leaf spring car??? Thanks
    The 3 in front of lr on tacky and 5 and above behind on dry.
    When it seems all eyes are on you when you're wearing a new pair of jeans you wonder why everyone thinks you look so darn good in them. When taking them off you notice the sticker still on the pant leg.

Thumbs up

So a 95 shock on lr for slick behind so would the rr shock stay in the same place and who all agrees with this????Thanks

So a 95 shock on lr for slick behind so would the rr shock stay in the same place and who all agrees with this????Thanks
    What you have to remember is leafs also act as a mechanical traction device. By floating the rr you also cut the rate in half of pinion wrap. you also are using the shock for and aft to control the wrap of the pinion and how fast the traction is applied. Make sure if you float rr or move leaf packs for and aft that you also change your shock mount so you do not bend any eyes of the shocks. Also leaf cars we go all the way to 4" stagger tacky to sometimes reverse stagger as well. I personally don't like reverse stagger because there are other ways to control other things that the reverse stagger is crutching. Also to add the normal 7-2 8-2 high compression shocks on a 3 link or 4 bar do not apply to leaf. Youll want the compression but also the rebound higher as well. You can tune the mid turn throttle push you always see by increasing rebound.
    Last edited by RaceMentally; 12-10-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    When it seems all eyes are on you when you're wearing a new pair of jeans you wonder why everyone thinks you look so darn good in them. When taking them off you notice the sticker still on the pant leg.

take your lr shock off on slick smooth tracks

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    take your lr shock off on slick smooth tracks
    Explanation....