Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I have never taken mine off but have ran a dummy shock there on the slick. Leaf cars need to let the left rear leaf move as freely as possible on the slick. That is why I suggested a straight 3 valving earlier on the left rear. It has always worked for me. Others may have different opinions.

wouldn't a dummy be the same as taking it off?

What do you run on the rr for a shock ?

3030 or 4040

Yes it is the same. I wasn't disagreeing. I was just commenting that I have never tried to take it all the way off. I was validating to racementally the reason to remove it or run without any pressure or valving.

Would staggering the shocks lr ahead and rr behind make a difference also? I am currently running both ahead of the rearend

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMentally View Post
    What you have to remember is leafs also act as a mechanical traction device. By floating the rr you also cut the rate in half of pinion wrap. you also are using the shock for and aft to control the wrap of the pinion and how fast the traction is applied. Make sure if you float rr or move leaf packs for and aft that you also change your shock mount so you do not bend any eyes of the shocks. Also leaf cars we go all the way to 4" stagger tacky to sometimes reverse stagger as well. I personally don't like reverse stagger because there are other ways to control other things that the reverse stagger is crutching. Also to add the normal 7-2 8-2 high compression shocks on a 3 link or 4 bar do not apply to leaf. Youll want the compression but also the rebound higher as well. You can tune the mid turn throttle push you always see by increasing rebound.
    By floating the rr , all the axle wrap is in the the lr giving you the bite like a 4 bar car if you use the shackle on the left rear. And you don't get the rear steer like a 4 bar car. I had 2 cars with the fast boy and it takes a little to get used to it. I ran a 3 link stock car for ten years and then changed to leaf, tons of bite and it did make the car alot tighter.

You can tune the mid turn throttle push you always see by increasing rebound. On what corner ??
    Last edited by Dirtrunner35; 12-11-2013 at 04:26 PM.

ok then whats a good shock package then for slick or all the time or for lf...Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrunner35 View Post
    By floating the rr , all the axle wrap is in the the lr giving you the bite like a 4 bar car if you use the shackle on the left rear. And you don't get the rear steer like a 4 bar car. I had 2 cars with the fast boy and it takes a little to get used to it. I ran a 3 link stock car for ten years and then changed to leaf, tons of bite and it did make the car alot tighter. You can tune the mid turn throttle push you always see by increasing rebound. On what corner ??
    Increasing rebound on lr will slow the reaction and drive down. We run a lot more rebound than most. Why? Because most do not know what to do when the track goes dry. We shift a lot of weight to the rr and high. We also use a 3-5 rr always. I'm front off rr tacky and behind rr dry slick. We also decrease stagger immensely. 3"-4" stagger with the fast boy tacky but dry we close it up to 1" or less. The problem with the fast boy is dry slick tracks. Every car I've seen with this set up is always off on the dry slick and is always loose after 3-4 laps. There is more than just putting a fast boy set up on the car and tuning is still involved just like a 4 bar car.
    Last edited by RaceMentally; 12-12-2013 at 05:21 AM.
    When it seems all eyes are on you when you're wearing a new pair of jeans you wonder why everyone thinks you look so darn good in them. When taking them off you notice the sticker still on the pant leg.

Thumbs up

Thanks and my rr is not floated just leafs and if ya run the rr shock behind on dry so do ya run the lr in front on dry then... so do i want more rebound or less on dry on th l/r and more or less compression on dry for the l/r on leaf car ?????? Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by frontrunner View Post
    Thanks and my rr is not floated just leafs and if ya run the rr shock behind on dry so do ya run the lr in front on dry then... so do i want more rebound or less on dry on th l/r and more or less compression on dry for the l/r on leaf car ?????? Thanks again
    To keep it simple float the rr in dry and lock it up in the tack. Run lr shock behind with higher compression and rebound. If in front of lr run a more 50/50 split. I suggest to find what works best to try different tuning on shocks every race. In fact what we do at new tracks is run adjustable shocks and every caution we come in and adjust them. Yes they're illegal but we can figure out what we need sooner by times, feel, and it's in one feature race. Use the first couple of races to try new things. Don't stick with one set up. Take notes on everything from times, tires, track conditions, set up, etc.
    When it seems all eyes are on you when you're wearing a new pair of jeans you wonder why everyone thinks you look so darn good in them. When taking them off you notice the sticker still on the pant leg.

Can you float the rr without having a liftarm on the car will the lr spring hold all of that wrap on its own? I guess I don't know what you mean by "a more 50/50 split"

Thumbs up

Ok thanks but not going to float my rr for next year but just wondering what shocks would be ok to start with on slick some says more comp. and some say less comp for exit but not sure...Thanks

Thumbs up

Sorry that was for the lr shock more or less comp. on slick for exit?

Anybody had any luck with adding a member (I won't mention which one) to my ignore list. My profile won't save it when I tried to add...

If your only wanting to free entry drop the LF spring 50# I won't have effects in any other parts of the corner. Where as everything else will effect exit

Quote Originally Posted by speedbuggy View Post
    Anybody had any luck with adding a member (I won't mention which one) to my ignore list. My profile won't save it when I tried to add...
    That option has never worked for me. BUT I finally figured out if you click on their name then, view profile, it says add user to ignore list!!! walla

Got a bunch of people on that list now!

Frontrunner , your inbox is full

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    How did your nova work out this year?
    Jeff... Check page 15 on the new November IMCA newspaper. Top right.
    In all the excitement they forgot to mention the leaf springs. Chicken lips.
    Gator Engineering

Thumbs up

Pm box should be good now... thanks