Default northern sportmod performance

Have to choose between a 602 crate motor, 6200 rpm 5.43 gear and an open motor, 7000 to 7500 rpm 6.00 to 6.50 gear which will produce the best performance ? I figure the cost is about the same because I have an open motor now that blew up. With the crate I would have to buy 4 barrel carb , different tranny coupler ect.

Crate is a no brainer for sportmods. Need to make sure you have the right setup where the chip kicks in softly.

Has anybody switched from an open motor to the crate motor ? Could you tell a difference, was your car faster with the crate motor ? Does the gearing affect the way the car handles ?

I highly recommend the crate, I have driven both and use the crate in my car and recommend it to my customers. For the price you just cant beat it unless you build your own engines.

I appreciate the responses. I do build my own motors , but I want the best performance. Switching to a 6.0 gear really felt like it improved acceleration. I know of one competitor who turns about 7500 rpm he won several races this year against mostly crates.

I have used both and won races and championships with both I like the built motor but I build my own. the crate is easy and runs good too

I have heard of guys being able to turn around 6800 RPM with a crate against the chip. When you add in a 4 barrell that is pretty tough to beat with an open motor.

I had not considered that the crate could turn more than 6200 rpm.