Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sbc oil pumps?

Default Sbc oil pumps?

What are people using for oil pumps now. I building 383 turning 7200 in a stock block. Would like to stay with a cast unit that does not cost a fortune.

Milodon 18750 5/8 sump inlet - 18770 3/4 sump inlet

melling 10552c

m55 is all I have ever run and have had ZERO failures due to no oil!
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

Why a Standard volume high pressure as opposed it hv lp? Or both high volume high pressure?

High volume just uses horse power. You will have plenty of pressure with the standard pressure.
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

@usafracer, how much HP loss?

Quote Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
    High volume just uses horse power. You will have plenty of pressure with the standard pressure.
    I second the above question. What kind of losses? Is this also with oil restrictors in place or not with a flat tappet application?
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    hv is harder to turn costing you hp, also it moves more oil than needed so it builds excess heat in your oil pushing it around more. this is all common sense.
    Wonder if that's the issue I had with a motor after I switched to synthetic the pressure would drop when oil got hot (running mix of xp3 and xp6) on the m55hv pump no restrictors. Figured it was bypassing in the pump.
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

Lmao!!! Ya it was on that exactly, I had only put on roller rockers on the last couple races I ran that motor. Std it is, any issues running that with a 20w50 type of oil mixture?
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

This was going to be in a motor turning 7200. If you guys want to put a stock pump in yours go ahead. I wouldnt do that in a motor turning that many rpms. M55hv pumps were junk a few yrs ago. the ended up in the broken in the bottom of the pan. Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one.

14 years using m55hv pumps, no problems 20_50 oil

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrunner35 View Post
    14 years using m55hv pumps, no problems 20_50 oil
    I have used the same that's why I'm so like Wtf lol...?!?!?

Guess I'll ask the builders around what they use here as we get a little warmer in the summers then most of the Midwest, heat races at 110* suck.
    I know most use 5w50 to 20w50 for oil. Called me crazy when I put 10w30 in lol.

I do understand as clearances get tighter and oil gets better that there is no need for gallons of oil to flow as before, just clairify one vs the other.

Any builders on here wanna chime in would be appreciated, basically I'm running an equivalent to a 365 A mod motor turning 7000-7500.
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

We run a 355 to 8200 every night with a regular m55 pump pushing Brad Penn. No oil pressure problems whatsoever. Our builder doesn't build anything with a hv pump.

Biggest pump I use is a 10552 and the smallest pump is a DRLV Drag race Low volume pump with great results.

Under race conditions if I have 60 to 70 pounds I have more then enough volume, HV pumps do raise oil temps over a std. volume pump, When the oil is being bypassed it just goes around and around in the pump till it can be used its creating heat and it does whipped the oil up as well.

HV pumps do cost HP.

Quote Originally Posted by dereksehi View Post
    The oil would not be bypassed if you open up the connecting rod side clearance like I mentioned earlier. If you call melling and tell them what you are doing with your engine they will recommend the pump you need if you call them talk to Renee not George I am betting if ur goin to run over 6500 they will want you to run HV in a circle track app. Also if you are running an HV pump and the bypass is set at 70 psi like the M55HV is and you are only running 65 psi you are not bypassing much oil which is a perfect condition
    WTF. Bearing clearance regulates the oil that flows between the rods not side clearance.

I have built some piston guided rod engines that have .110 side clearance and have used a M55A pump and no issues.

I have built some Honda rod 283 main circle track engines and HV pump would not work on those engines and they turn 7500 with zero problem's!!!

I have never needed HV pumps with my builds but I guess you have to know what your doing !!!!

To a certain extent rod side clearance does regulate oil flow if you don't think so put an engine together with .005 side clearance and let me know how that works cause it won't!!! Clearance does regulate the flow but it goes hand in hand with side clearance. I know for a fact on a 351w ford if you go from .015 side clearance to .030 you will lose 40 degrees oil temp because the oil can flow better without changing the bearing clearance. I have built 302 fords that run better than 8000 with this theory plus out of all of the engines to come through my shop not one single bearing has been damaged or spun!! I sir do know what I am doing regardless what you believe there is more than one way to build an engine that's what makes good races!!
    What idiot would ever put together a racing engine with .005 side clearance !!!!! I didn't see an difference in oil temp with a .110 side clearance.

I am not a believer in what your trying to push!!

If you wouldn't build a race engine with .005 side clearance than it must play a role in oil flow huh? Wouldn't let enough oil out through the rods now would it? So it does make a difference this is just an extreme. Volume plays more of a role than pressure since pressure is resistance to flow rather than how much flow you have I have run small block ford engines with only 50 psi a high volume pump and 10w30 oil and melling told me I had the perfect condition lots of volume without any oil bypassing pump was turned all the way up I never had a failure with the either it takes volume to cool the bearings not so much as pressure. You could build an engine with tight clearances and high pressure do to the lack of clearance but it wouldn't have enough oil flow to cool the bearings and journals
    Well I see a lot of 602 circle track crate engines and I have seen some with a s little as .010 side clearance engines ran fine oil temps around 220 with no cooler and during a rebuild I open the side clearance up to at least .018 and so far oil temps don't seem to run cooler!!!

I have been building circle track engines for many years now and have seen side clearance from .015 to .045 and no big difference in oil temps.

Bill Hendrens always said the same thing I have said its the bearing clearance that regulates the flow of oil between the rods not side clearance. So far performance rods for GM builds are .940 and will give you appox .016 side clearance..

i think im gonna run stock car drivers new setup

You build them your way and I will build them mine I have also been building race engines for awhile and have the best reputation in my area for reliability in building Chevys Fords and Chryslers. We will just have to agree to disagree!!
    Are you a true engine builder where you do your own machine work or just an assembler??

Scroll down my Face Book page just comparing apples to apples here to see if we are on the same page or not.

https://www.facebook.com/cncblocks.northeast