Thread: Motor advice !

Default Motor advice !

heres what I have going on, Im building a 355 for my street stock and want some input on weather or not you think what I have will work good for what im doing ! I have a 010 block, punched .30 over, stock stroke, 5.7 rods, cola steel crank, I-beam rods with arp studs, manley .465 dome pistons, world product 230cc runners with 2.05 valves 72cc chamber, victor jr. 2 barrel intake, holley 4412 carb 500 cfm, good hei dist. and big plug wires. ect. 1.5 roller rockers, 3/8 studs with gridles, the cam is a .531 lift solid lifters. I guess my question is will the heads be to much for a 355 Im not sure what im looking for but how do you all think this will work out plan to run it about 6800 rpms maybe a little more. I think the track will be dry slick for the most part ! any advice will be greatful !

I think them heads are a little much.
    Last edited by Driver88; 12-14-2013 at 11:21 PM.

and your rocker studs should be 7/16

Ya I think I should have 7/16 studs but this is what came with the heads and I didnt change iit.with the heads being alittle big what can I do to make them work better and what will be the flaws of having a bigger head ?

I run 7400 rpms on a 2 barrel carb with small valve vortecs on a hydraulic cam. The runners in those heads are too much for a 2 barrel carb. I would also put 7/16 studs in.

Ya, 230 runners with a 4412 is going to kill all your low end, and its not like a 355 has low end to spare. Sell those heads and get the correct ones for your application.

Dave
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

these heads do have a 72 cc combustion chamber will that help me at all and also I will be running at a track where its wide open and u really don't slow down a lot so as far as throttle response I think the only thing that will hurt is on the start and restarts but im not sure im new to building a good motor, ive always used double humps or something like that. I also have a set or 220cc runners coming I may change them out it you think it will hurt me real bad ! also one more question is is good to have the carb mounted up high. I have the victor jr 2 barrl intake with the extra inch high and a 1 inch wooden spacer so is that to high up ? what are the pros and cons of having it high or low ?

I would run stock double humps over either of those big heads.

I would dyno with and without the spacer.

ok I had the motor installed and went to fire it up when I noticed that it wouldn't turn over very easy, it was giving the starter a work out and would not start. so I pulled it back out and the motor was a bear to turn with a braker bar so I started pulling parts off the motor I took the heads off and heard that the rings were making a lot of noise and it still wouldn't turn easy. then I but oil on the cyl. walls and after the oil got down to the rings it started turning over real easy again. Is this normal, if the rings were dry would that cause all the trouble ? I did check the ring gaps when I built the motor and they are all good. with oil it spins real good but wo its a bear ! normal or not ?

Get some help.

A guess would be to look at the ring end gap,again; were these supposed to be filed, correct math?
    Piston cylinder wall clearance?
    Last edited by DaveBauerSS6; 12-22-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    Gator Engineering

Maybe you damaged one of the piston rings when you assembled it. You should not hear any noise at all from the rings when you turn the engine over.
    Last edited by Driver50x; 12-23-2013 at 01:43 PM.

did the rings stop making noise once you added the oil? rings will make a scrapping sound if they are dry in a dry bore. i'm guessing your ring gap is ok because adding oil isnt going to change ring gap and suddenly make it turn over easier. my guess is not enough lube when assembled.

I'd make real sure you don't have a ring twisted in there. Look at all the cylinder walls really carefully to make sure there isn't any scoring in there. I had a ring come off the land once when assembling and all it took was one revolution to scratch up the bore nice and pretty.

Default rookie move

Quote Originally Posted by speedbuggy View Post
    I'd make real sure you don't have a ring twisted in there. Look at all the cylinder walls really carefully to make sure there isn't any scoring in there. I had a ring come off the land once when assembling and all it took was one revolution to scratch up the bore nice and pretty.

ok here is what i learned, i pulled the motor back out and tore it all the way down and i found the ring gaps were good as i thought, but they were stuck in the pistons. lack of lube was the biggest problem, then also when i got the pistons they had some old rings on them and to get them off i had to boil water and let them sit in the hot water. after that i used a small hammer and screw driver to get the rings off. they were stuck bad ! but as i was taking the rings off i used the small hammer to move the ringafound the piston and i mushroomed the ring caps on the pistions, i thought i filed them and got them where the rings were free but i guess i didnt get the gaps big enough. so the rings were stuck in the pistons and wouldnt move easy. so after i pulled it all apart i re filed all the ring gaps and and made 100% sure their was the room that they needed, also when i put it together the first time i didnt used lots of motor oil just a little on the cly wall and by the time i went to start it the oil was washed out due to me being a rookie and i installed the timing gear on the crank on the wrong mark ! so thats y it didnt want to start thensince it wasnt firing all the gas washed all the oil out of the cyl walls and thats when it started turning real hard, no lube ! but now i think i got it and it will be ready to fire up tomorrow. this time i dipped the pistion in oil before i installed them and now the motor turns super easy and it will fire at the right time so i hope it turns out to be a power house ! since i had it apart i did install a set of 210cc runner wp heads that should work alot better with my 4412. thanks to everyone for all the advice !