Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default wedge fuel cells

can you tell the different between the rectangular and the wedge like bw or rocket they are high dollar cell if it give you more drive may be worth getting

It changes how much tail weight loss you get associated with fuel burn-off over the course of a race.

Less tail weight loss with a wedge fuel cell = more rear weight at the end of the race (versus with a square cell) = more forward drive.

I would like to hear more on this topic from other racers that have switched from one to the other and the pros and cons

Matt49 : could you possibly explain your reasoning for your previous comment a little more in depth? I can see how you would have less tail weight with the wedge cell with more fuel being pushed further towards the rearend and that helping your handling do to less tail swinging weight. but in my head I'm thinking that as fuel burns off you are loosing tail weight more so than a rectangle cell do to the wedge shape. So wouldn't this result in less rear percent come checkard flag time?

I have different reasoning for it . Matt is correct on his theory but that's not why rocket developed their cell. If your racing on high speed tracks you can benefit from it if not save your dough. Call us at bgr if your interested in this technology I can give you the breakdown and help you decide what peices will help. Pm

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMagic View Post
    I would like to hear more on this topic from other racers that have switched from one to the other and the pros and cons

Matt49 : could you possibly explain your reasoning for your previous comment a little more in depth? I can see how you would have less tail weight with the wedge cell with more fuel being pushed further towards the rearend and that helping your handling do to less tail swinging weight. but in my head I'm thinking that as fuel burns off you are loosing tail weight more so than a rectangle cell do to the wedge shape. So wouldn't this result in less rear percent come checkard flag time?
    The center of gravity of a wedge shaped cell is further forward than a rectangular one. As fuel burns off, a rectangular cell will lose more car tail weight than a wedge cell of the same capacity.
    This isn't a "theory". It's the way it works.
    I guess whether one feels like they benefit from maintaining their percentages through a race is up for debate but you'd have a tough time convincing me that losing a considerable amount of tail weight during a race would be a positive thing. In a perfect world, I want my percentages to be unchanged or as close to unchanged as possible.

It also can provide a better polar moment correct? I always setup my cars for the 2/3rd of the race that way you don't give up alot in the beginning or the end the car stays in a more neutral state but the cell designs help.

I would like to hear from one of the gurus as to what the exact difference between the two cells is...

I am far from a guru, but I would bet that if somebody runs in the back and they change fuel cells they will still run in the back. Save the money, you can do a lot of improving in other areas of the car for what those cells cost.JMO

The idea is trickling down to the modified chassis now. Seen a lot of new modifieds with wedge fuel cells. My chassis mfg said the fuel cell in the 14' cars is 6" ahead of where they used to be.

Maintaining percentages is important and a wedge cell can help but so can using a smaller cell mounted higher and forward then making up for the loss weight with lead that never burns off IF you run shorter races. Racing is a game of making hundreds of little things better. The first few are free, the next 50 cost a little more and the last 30 or so can break the bank.

Spot on, hpmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    The center of gravity of a wedge shaped cell is further forward than a rectangular one. As fuel burns off, a rectangular cell will lose more car tail weight than a wedge cell of the same capacity.
    This isn't a "theory". It's the way it works.
    I guess whether one feels like they benefit from maintaining their percentages through a race is up for debate but you'd have a tough time convincing me that losing a considerable amount of tail weight during a race would be a positive thing. In a perfect world, I want my percentages to be unchanged or as close to unchanged as possible.
    I don't know if your sarcasm stems from someone else's post or mine. I wasn't questioning your reasoning but just simply asking for more explanation on the debate as I am just looking to further my knowledge. Thanks everyone for the replies I understand what all the cell does and how it does it.

BlackMagic, that wasn't directed at you. Guaranteed.

It seemed as if someone else had struck a nerve, I try to word my posts to not offended people when I am questioning something. I hardly ever post on here anymore because there is so many trolls that have everyone on edge. If you ask a question people think you're attacking them.

It definitely wasn't directed at you it was when someone called Matts science theory when in fact its Laws Of Physics he is spot on and every bit adds up. Check rules too we can't run some of the wedge or teardrop cells because they are bottom feed. Whenever you can move weight forward toward the center of the car your doing right yes it might not look the same in the rear percentage but I'd take weight closer to my polar moment any day and it also wont change it as much as you burn fuel off. When you have a car that remains more consistent you can tun it better without having to worry about crossing a threshold to a less then neutral car.

you do not gain rear percentage with a wedge cell, put your car on a scale, put 50 lbs weight on the rear bumper, check wheel weights, then move that weight to the front of fuel cell and check your weight, you will find you lost rear weight percentage due to leverage, the advantage I can see is keeping the weight as close to the rear as possible, which helps eliminate the slinging effect that lateral Gs has going into the corner. for 30 lap or so races I like a smaller cell and a piece of weight I can move. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    you do not gain rear percentage with a wedge cell, put your car on a scale, put 50 lbs weight on the rear bumper, check wheel weights, then move that weight to the front of fuel cell and check your weight, you will find you lost rear weight percentage due to leverage, the advantage I can see is keeping the weight as close to the rear as possible, which helps eliminate the slinging effect that lateral Gs has going into the corner. for 30 lap or so races I like a smaller cell and a piece of weight I can move. JMO
    The further forward your cell is the "LESS" rear % you lose due to fuel burn off during a race... that is gaining rear percentage at the end of the race.

It cant be explained any simpler than it already has in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    The further forward your cell is the "LESS" rear % you lose due to fuel burn off during a race... that is gaining rear percentage at the end of the race.

It cant be explained any simpler than it already has in this thread.
    im sorry, but that makes no since to me, your pivoting weight over an axes, ie the rearend, the farther you move the weight toward the rear, the more weight the rear contact point will gain. its basic leverage. if car is on scale, say with 10 gal of fuel in wedge , ill bet if you turn the cell around and put the wedge toward the rear, your rear percentage will increase,

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    im sorry, but that makes no since to me, your pivoting weight over an axes, ie the rearend, the farther you move the weight toward the rear, the more weight the rear contact point will gain. its basic leverage. if car is on scale, say with 10 gal of fuel in wedge , ill bet if you turn the cell around and put the wedge toward the rear, your rear percentage will increase,
    I hope your joking around.

put your car on the scale ,if you have one, put a piece of lead in front of the cell, write your rear wheel weights down, now move that weight to the rear of the cell and check you readings again, then we will see who's joking, I do like to joke around, just not this time, sorry