Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Rebound on left front shock

Has anyone or does anyone run higher rebound on their left front. I 've heard of people chaining the left front and such. Just watching some of the WOO and LOLMDS and seems their left front will gently come off the ground but the tire never looks to change its postion as related to the fender well.

some are going that way on some of the tracks,but this takes the whole setup not just one shock

There are two ways of looking at the left front corner of the car. First ... If you keep that tire on the ground it will help you turn. Large amounts of tire droop will still allow body roll and spring compression on the right side, while still allowing a little assistance in turning. This should add a little more side bite.

The flip side is to tie down the left front. This will take out a little side bite through body roll, but you get the aero advantage of keeping the nose glued and help the car turn. There will also be an aero advantage to add down force to the entire car if you glue the nose down.

There is also something else added to the equation when you pull the left front off the ground. There will be more weight distributed on the other three corners. Think about a three legged table as opposed to four. If the left front is touching the ground it is bearing at least some weight. Once that wheel comes off the ground, there is more possible weight to be distributed between the rear tires or the right front. It really depends on how tight you want the car and how you want the car to balance out.

Besides all of that, driving style plays a huge roll in whether you like tieing the nose down or not. Some like it; some don't. There is no magic in it either way.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Ltemodel; 01-05-2014 at 12:35 PM.

The flip side is to tie down the left front. This will take out a little side bite through body roll, but you get the aero advantage of keeping the nose glued and help the car turn. There will also be an aero advantage to add down force to the entire car if you glue the nose down.

There is also something else added to the equation when you pull the left front off the ground. There will be more weight distributed on the other three corners. Think about a three legged table as opposed to four. If the left front is touching the ground it is bearing at least some weight. Once that wheel comes off the ground, there is more possible weight to be distributed between the rear tires or the right front. It really depends on how tight you want the car and how you want the car to balance out.

Ltemodel,

This is where my thoughts were, it would definately be another thing to add to the balancing act. I'm thinking it would help you turn in through the middle with a little more throttle and help keep from loading the RR so fast and then help drive coming off. I think its something i want to experiment with.
    Last edited by lindsey97; 01-05-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Weight does not transfer diagonally it is against the Laws Of Physics. So the LF to RR theory doesn't exist. What you are doing it effecting your LR to LF transfers and your LF to RF transfers. Its not like you magically free up all this new weight to distribute as soon as the LF tire comes off the ground. More LF rebound will hold more weight from transferring off the LF to the RF and help the LF tire turn the front end more because its holding more weight on that corner. It should free your entry what this can ALLOW you to do it run less roll steer or RRL bar angle however you want to do it which can help you get off the corner better without having to use excessive hike and roll steer to negotiate the corner which will allow you to drive the car straighter. Yes alot of this is in the wording but you can't think of weight transfers in terms of diagonals. Weight on decel goes rear to front and when you turn into the corner inside to outside your LR is the bigger looser on entry decel followed by the LF. the RF is the big gainer followed by the RR.

7 up, the laws of physics tell me that if you tie the left front down, there will be less instant transfer to the right rear, if you free the left front and reduce rebound, there will be more weight transferred to right rear, so i think the left front to right rear theory does exist. not trying to be a smart azz but this is how I see it.

Diagonal weight transfer does exist. The car experiences diagonal,front to rear and side to side.

If that is the case why don't you use the LF spring and shock changes for exit tuning for the RR? You have two weight transfers in racing rear to front inside to out. It simply doesn't happen wrap it up in whatever package you want but you will be alot more successful if you get away from it.
    Last edited by 7uptruckracer; 01-06-2014 at 01:09 PM.

It can go LR to LF to RF but you won't have it go LR to LF. Its a simultaneous action but I'm just clearing the wording up you need to actually know what your wheels and forces are doing on accel and decel. Go to the classes they will tell you the same and show you the theories behind it, I don't know how else to explain it. FastFord you run heavy rebound soft compression in the mud and the opposite in the slick and you don't wanna load the RR in the slick because the car will be loose. The LF Accepts weight from the LR and also gives weight to the RF the rebound holds the weight on a corner longer and the compression slows the weight transfer to that corner. Longitudinal and Lateral Forces. THINK about all the topics you see alot on here everyone talks now about the LF being down and into the track they aren't hiking cars they aren't running a ton of rear steer. Bloomer this Bloomer that. If you can get the weight on the LF to turn it and keep it on the ground you don't need the rear steer to turn the car anymore because the front end is working efficiently. Hike in a car is a result of thrust we can use the thrust to propel the car forward or propel the car upwards creating hike. That's why you see guys say don't go over 45* of dynamic bar angle because your wasting thrust and just pushing the car up and not forward. If you can use less upward thrust and rear steer and still hook it up you will be going forward faster long winded yes but please thing about all of it and what you see the current trends going towards and why
    Last edited by 7uptruckracer; 01-06-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Weight transfer is not diagonal it is rotational. Now that I have poured gas on this I will go back to my corner. look at what happens when you change spring rates on a given corner
    Last edited by hpmaster; 01-06-2014 at 02:18 PM.

It is correct weight doesn't transfer diagonally. It does transfer in three axis' though; X,Y, and Z. Most chassis classes teach the front to rear and side to side because it is easy to understand and visualize what is going on. The truth is that every flick of the wheel, every touch of the brake, and every bump of the cushion will transfer weight. Everything happens so often and changes direction so quick it will appear to move diagonally.

I don't believe rear steer actually turns the car. What will help turn the car is how the tires are aligned and how the tires are loaded. If you have the same rear steer with two different length panhard bars, at the same angle, the car will be tighter with the shorter one. This is because the RR will be tucked inside the right front more when the car is in yaw. Everything needs to work in harmony to actually help turn the car. Rear steer will not do it by itself. The big picture in roll steer is how the tires are aligned.

We have experimented with tying the left front down in various different ways and it will take a little side bite out, but there is an advantage to the aero downforce.
    Last edited by Ltemodel; 01-06-2014 at 06:44 PM.

There is so much going on with these cars. I know for sure, from a shock stand point in other forms of racing, making adjustments in one corner will effect the opposite corner. RR=LF. There are a lot of explanations why, but we have seen it from a data stand point and driver feel. As for LF rebound tie down, track dependent and driver for sure. on a very smooth, high speed track, it can be an aero advantage, but if the car is that aero dependent and you don't start up front or get a lot of lap traffic, it is not always the best set-up. Tethering, chaining, or internally drooping the LF shock is something completely different than adding rebound. Each change will do something totally different.

rotational weight transfer. here is a good link http://www.animations.physics.unsw.e...w/rotation.htm
    If you take the time to understand rotational weight transfer it helps you understand what a car does as it drives in a left circle, straightens out then turns left again. rotational kinematics. Not tryin to argue just tryin to help.

It might have a net end result on an opposing corner but it's not from a diagonal force. I would make sure you are very clear there for integrity sake...but then again I use JRI

I agree with the theories for sure, doesn't always translate to the race track. I always tell everyone, try it, see if your driver feels the difference.

It's a package deal any change especially on these is a compromise. You can't dump a ton of rebound into a car and that's it. Just like you can't take shocks off a shelf and just throw them on a car anymore.

Old article but still one of the best pieces of literature on dirt car weight transfer. Written by some guy named Bloomquist...
    http://www.circletrack.com/techartic...lacement_tech/

Quote Originally Posted by 7uptruckracer View Post
    It's a package deal any change especially on these is a compromise. You can't dump a ton of rebound into a car and that's it. Just like you can't take shocks off a shelf and just throw them on a car anymore.
    yes you can win with off the shelf shocks if you know the valvings you need,bilstiens are one of the best shocks out there,with off the shelf steel body shocks and 1 of my old cars a 17-18 yr old won the track championship,yes it can be done,and no you don't need 3-5 thousand dollars worth of shocks,the most overated parts on a late model today PERIOD
    learn how they work and what you need
    most of the time people concentrate to much on there shocks when they should be working on there set up,shocks are a fine tuning tool,if your that far off its not the shocks
    and I think there 130 bucks a piece
    Last edited by grt74; 01-06-2014 at 10:17 PM.

7up you stick with your theories and I'll stick with mine. I've won a lot of races with it. Btw you can effect exit with the LF.

Agree to disagree I guess but to answer his question yes some do tie it down, some add more droop, some chain (not seen much) some run super soft on the LF spring as well. Just depends on the car and geometry and goals.