Default 604 beehive valve spring installed heights

I decided to finally install my new beehive valve springs on my 604 crate motor that I bought from race 1 awhile back. I recruited a guy that has done a few valve spring replacements for his help. I know the minimum installed height is 1.78", but is there a maximum installed height?

I took our measuring tool and measured from the base where the spring was sitting and set the top to the top edge of the spring coil and got a range of 1.819" to 1.835". Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? This was also without the 0.015" spring shim that was used with my old valve springs. I measured the installed height without the rocker on as I figured that shouldn't matter.

This is my first time ever changing valve springs, and the guy that was helping me install them didn't know the required installed height and wanted me to ask to make sure.

when measuring installed height the spring plays NO part

Installed height is measured from the top of the locating shim to the bottom of the retainer

the retainer and keepers must be installed on the valve and the (stepped) locating shim must be on the head

you should be using a valve spring height mic that fits in place of the spring for measuring purposes-----call me tomorrow and I will send you one to use and give you some verbal instruction

you might have to leave a message i will be on the dyno all day but i will get it out tomorrow if you call

Brad

Thanks Brad... I will call you in a little while. Just to clarify, everything that Brad sent in the beehive spring package looks great and it sounds like I wasn't measuring it properly.