Default dot tire question

fwd class dirt
    we have to use dot street radials, no dirtboss etc, no snows 200+ utqg. no siping. 14,15, height is open (50-75 ok)
    generally is it always better to go with the widest?
    for instance i can make a 235-60-14 work under the strut, cooper cobra comes in this size. goodrich radial ta comes 225-60-14. we are allowed 50 and 55 series tires that come wider but most of these tires have no real tread. i can also make a 205-70-14 with a bit nicer tread fit but it is obviously narrower

guess the question is, how much should you trade off in width to get a bit better tire tread? is 60 series mostly better than 70?

i have no experience with dirt,i do however have experience with tires...the 1st set of numbers (195-205-235-etc...) is how wide the tread pattern is in millimeters,the 50-55-60-70-etc...is the percentage of the width in sidewall size, example: 225-60 is 235mm wide and the sidewall height is 60% of what the treadwidth is.

to get down to a 200 treadwear tire, you will most likely only find them in a directional pattern,a good tire that has decent treadblock pattern is the Falken Azenis

i personally would think(and again no dirt track experience)that you would want a tire with bigger sidewall such as a 65 or 70 series,the smaller the number,the stiffer the sidewall
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

I ran 235/60/14 cooper cobras with good success great tire imo

i found some almost new 225-50-15 hoosier dot radials i may try. decent tread. think they must be some older stuff cause i cant find anything on the net about them. just wish i knew if short sidewalls were a good thing for dirt

I run Formoza's 205/60r13 & they seem to work well also. Plus there only about $85 a piece shipped from (tires easy.com)