Default thinking about making the switch.

I'm thinking about making the switch from street stock to crate lates. Where I live the street stocks seems to bedieing off and the 2 tracks that does run them has different rules that's like day light to dark. I was just wanting some pros and cons about making the switch. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emtb85 View Post
    I'm thinking about making the switch from street stock to crate lates. Where I live the street stocks seems to bedieing off and the 2 tracks that does run them has different rules that's like day light to dark. I was just wanting some pros and cons about making the switch. Thanks
    Pros:
    Engine is likely going to be less maintenance and expense
    Late models are easier to work on than any stock clip type of car
    There's a lot of tire under you for the amount of horsepower you have available so you might find driving one pretty easy and your experience from racing on skinny tires will come in handy when the track is slick

Cons:
    You're going to spend more money on tires.
    Late model parts are more expensive so if you are in the habit of tearing stuff up, be ready to open your wallet
    There will be a considerable learning curve on setup if you're not pretty familiar with it already. All of the changes available on a late model can be pretty intimidating at first.

Some will tell you that there will be a huge learning curve on driving because late models do some radical stuff with the rear end. I think it just takes some getting used to but if you're somewhat experienced behind the wheel of any type of race car, you should catch on pretty quick.

The best advice I can give is to have an experienced late model guy get you on a baseline setup and spend a few weeks just learning to drive it as is. Don't try to make changes to make the car feel more comfortable to you until you know that you are comfortable driving the car the way it is supposed to be driven. We spent a lot of time in my first season trying to do things to the car when the main thing that needed adjustment was the part between the seat and the steering wheel.

Thanks for the info. We try not to tear up anything if we can help it. I know the engines and stuff for the street stocks is crazy expensive because they arnt stock anymore. I just helped my buddy build his motor for his street stock and it cost him over 8, 000 just to be some what competive. Which I know racing is as expensive as you wanna make it but I figured if I'm gonna spend it in a street stock might as well move up to crate lates.

Quote Originally Posted by emtb85 View Post
    Thanks for the info. We try not to tear up anything if we can help it. I know the engines and stuff for the street stocks is crazy expensive because they arnt stock anymore. I just helped my buddy build his motor for his street stock and it cost him over 8, 000 just to be some what competive. Which I know racing is as expensive as you wanna make it but I figured if I'm gonna spend it in a street stock might as well move up to crate lates.
    I think your thought process is right on. Folks like to complain about the relatively low horsepower of the crates but you'll be turning faster lap times in a crate late model than you ever thought about in a street stock.
    And, if the speed isn't really your thing and you get a lot of enjoyment out of building and working on race cars, late models fill that need nicely also. SO much easier to work with than a stock clip car. Just start doing your homework on setup stuff because it's a whole new world.

We have a stock clip warrior 3 link we did ourself if we paid someone to build it its a 15 to 20 grand car plus motor you can buy 2 race ready crate cars if you look for what we have in our car I think lt is a good move

There are some benefits that have yet to be discussed in this forum. #1) You have the option of racing at more tracks. #2) The crate lates that fall under a sanctioning body (ie., FASTRAK, RUSH, etc..) have a fixed payout system. #3) You can amass points that qualify for National Championship. #4) The weekly payouts are measurably higher. But, there also a downside too. D#1) Weekly maintenance is far more time consuming. D#2) Late model parts are far more expensive. D#3) Safety equipment - like the Hans Device - becomes mandatory; this is absolutely justifiable but it's also expensive too. D#4) Late model suspensions are more adjustable and more temperamental and this is often a source of frustration, especially for someone who is just learning a four bar setup. D#5) Late models react differently and you are going to have to learn a new cornering philosophy, new middle corner and throttle management, and new corner exit strategies. BLUF: If you can find a reasonably priced turnkey car and already have a stockpile of parts, then go for it. If you are looking to buy a roller and put it together yourself, then be prepared to spend some cash. I'll use prices from current 4m listings simply because you've got a ready reference to validate the prices: 2000 Rocket - $6500; crate 604 - $4000; Jones Racing 604 Serpentine pulley system $595; Jones Racing crank mounted power steering pump $380; Brinn Ball spline, starter, & reverse mount bellhousing - $1250; Bilstein SNLS shocks x 5 - $1495; Hoosier FT tires x 7 - $900; four 15x14 wheels - $500; and two 15x14 beadlocks $300. That'll get you started... Race the best and safest equipment that you can afford to.