Default LS motor in UMP street stock??

Just kinda been wondering if we could run an LS motor in a UMP street stock (metric chassis) didn't see anything in the rules that says you couldn't, just kind of been wondering about that for the last few days, a guy I work with is an LS nut and goes on and on about how great the LS motors are over the old school Gm engines. Just kinda wondering if it would even be legal, and what the pros and cons might be with these engines over the older designs

Are individual coil packs legal?

If Im not mistaken, the LS motor wasnt even designed to have a distributor, its crank triggered so that will kill it right there. The only LS motors worth a crap are the Aluminum ones, and thats a no no. Even if you could run the cast iron LS truck motor, I think at that point I would rather have Dart heads on my old block. If you cant run those alum heads, I think it would be a dog. Just my .02

Dave
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Racer96m View Post
    If Im not mistaken, the LS motor wasnt even designed to have a distributor, its crank triggered so that will kill it right there. The only LS motors worth a crap are the Aluminum ones, and thats a no no. Even if you could run the cast iron LS truck motor, I think at that point I would rather have Dart heads on my old block. If you cant run those alum heads, I think it would be a dog. Just my .02

Dave
    Gm makes a front cover with a fuel pump boss and hei mount. pretty slick but not cheap. looks like it would be legal. also fwiw the iron heads flow the same as the aluminum ones from the same years 5.3.
    Last edited by stockcar5; 01-24-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Dont think legal they have roller cams

where would you get a cast iron intake to fit it?

they come factory with roller cams. doesnt mean you cant put a flat tappet cam in it.

according to ump rules aluminum intakes are legal.

Why waste your money. I'm sure you could build one and even the extra money involved to make it legal. I guess if you got $$$ money just falling out of your pockets. But you could spend less than half thAt for a SBC with the same amount of power. I'll LS I'm familiar with have had weak valve trains. And don't hold up to hi RPM's consistently. It's good for a daily driver but I don't see it surviving the strain of dirt track racing.

Baldwin racing engines builds ls engines that put out alot of power. I have yet to see a solid lifter cam for it not saying it cant be made.