Default Shock recommendations...???

OK, I am probably going to open a can of worms here, but I am lost and need advice. I am stepping into a '09 Mars/MasterSbilt S7 Smack as my very first DLM experience after many years of modifieds. This is a VERY tight budget "Poor Boy" operation, so I cannot afford a $4000.00 set of canister shocks. I really not sure I can even afford the Afco double adjustables, and I am really leery about buying "used" shocks from an unknown source. The Mars setup book I received from the previous owner has absolutely no mention at all about what shocks and/or rates recommended for each corner. I have searched all over this forum, and others, but cannot find anything...? I even attended the big El Paso NDRL race this past weekend and asked several teams, but of course they ain't sayin... so somebody please give me a clue where to start...? I will be primarily on a 1/4 mile semi banked "paper clip", long straights with short tight corners, stop and go. I have an all steel wet sump 406 motor and falcon trans. The dirt doesn't have very much clay in it... kind of a dusty sandy texture. I will start with the Mars recommended 500 l/f, 450 r/f, 250 l/r and 225 r/r. What compression and rebound ratios should I start with at each corner...? I know, this is a loaded question...? Can you get me in the ballpark...? Thanks, Jim

I am not going to post my shock sheets, as most others wont either. I would contact a Bilstein dealer and get a set of the crate spec shocks if your budget is really tight. Jerry Link at SHY is one. I like working with him.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Give B&O shocks a call 336-789-6365.Kenny can get you going in the right direction .Really reasonable prices.

Ok, I can start calling and inquiring from the builders and dealers, I was just hoping to avoid the "sales pitch" runaround for those $4000.00 packages. I understand about protecting your edge, but if anyone might consider sending me a private message for some hints I would really appreciate it, as I can probably only afford some off-the-shelf shocks for just starting out now. As a newbie rookie again I am no threat to anyone, but I understand about posting your setups online for the whole world to copycat... thanks for the replies anyway... Jim ps. does anyone think the shock numbers setup from my Shaw mod might come close...?
    Last edited by DRTRCR22; 01-29-2014 at 12:17 PM.

DRTRCR22 check your PM.Thanks

i would run off the shelf bilstiens on the lf and rr 120-130 a piece + coil over kits,lr and rf if i could stand it would be double adjustable if possible,if not again bilstiens but youll have to have a couple of different ones for different conditions,so it still ends up with spending a little more for the lr and rf
    Last edited by grt74; 01-29-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Thanks guys, I am getting some good feedback here and on PM, and at least one good setup to start. I need to call some of the recommended builders for further specific advice I guess. Who would have thought this could be so scientifically difficult...? Grt74, I have a full setup of brand new Bilstiens from my Shaw A-mod, but they are the wrong rates... (I know Bilstiens are rated backwards, so I will state compression first rebound second) 3-5 on both right side, 5-3 on the left front, and 8-2 on the left rear...? The 8-2 might work on a one shock setup for l/r... but it sounds like I need a two shock setup there...? and the 5-3 on the l/f might be ok, but I will need both right sides. I already have small coil over kits for these mod shocks, for emergency backups. ) jim

use AFCO twin tube stuff, the new stuff is really good!, LF 5/3, RF 3/10-12, LR 12/3, and RR 4/6

you will have less than a $1000 invested and you will be fast out of the gate. These should only be used if you are running 25 laps or less.

Ms shock therapy. Mark smith 814-442-1194. He's in Pennsylvania I'm in Oregon best customer service. Good prices and might have some used stuff to get you goin.

I have a set of 4 integra aluminum threaded body stealth series with coil over kits. 6 nights since brand new. Built by mars for the exact car you have. They work nice , I'm selling to try and upgrade to a set of IDA's. $900 for everything shipped . Over 1600 invested. Give me a call or text for pics or if interested 952-484-5757

I agree with ff21, give Kenny a call at B&O. He is very informative and best all around shock guru I have worked with. Reasonable priced and best customer service you will find.

Default shocks

Ck pm. Set of twin tube afco shocks in excellent condition.