Thread: Alky vs gas

Default Alky vs gas

i have always ran alky on my mod but have been in late models for the last few years and our fuel system we have is for gas.i am going back to mods this year. what is the different between fuels we are on vp 112 right now. because of the cost and lack of time to make the first race i am thinking of staying on gas. what would be the hp difference on a 422 between fuels.

Big difference is that Alky is much cheaper to run, although you do burn more of it (not quite half), compared to gas. With this being the case, the folks running gas have a slight advantage in that they maintain their percentages towards the end of the race, whereas folks on alky will lose a little more rear percentage (in a twenty lap feature, I'd argue that this is not great enough to overcome how expensive gas is). Also, alky will make a little more HP, all things remaining the same. Finally, in addition to running an alky carb, you will need change to a different fuel pump and AN10 fuel line (if you currentyl run AN8) for more reserve. There are pros and cons for either. Go with what you feel is best for you.

I would leave it like it is. Depending on what heads are on the 422 i bet you dont need the added torque from the alky.

And alky likes a different cam profile than a gasoline cam. Was the engine your going to use built for gas? Bill H told me that with proper cams that there really isn't a big difference in HP but the alky engine will make a lot more torque. In our engines case about 80 ft lbs..

Quote Originally Posted by sj valley dave View Post
    And alky likes a different cam profile than a gasoline cam. Was the engine your going to use built for gas? Bill H told me that with proper cams that there really isn't a big difference in HP but the alky engine will make a lot more torque. In our engines case about 80 ft lbs..
    it was built for gas has just at 700 hp was thinking about the cooling more than any thing but this engine never ran more than 190 in my late model. think i will stay with gas it is a little had hooking up on gas really don.t need any more torque.

If it's tuned correctly, heat won't be a problem. We ran gas for several years when we switched back to mods from LM and just brought our LM setup to the mod. We ran a 19" GM442 fan with a single pass 2 row radiator and never had a heating problem.

Save your money and go gas. It costs a lot to switch to alky if you don't have a carb, bypass, bigger lines, etc.

SPark