Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: soft rr spring?

Default soft rr spring?

Whats everyone's thoughts on a 125lb rr spring. I talked to the best ss driver ive ever seen and this is wbat he runs. What affect does this have on the car and how does he make it work? He hands down has the best car out there.

well, decreasing spring rate on the RR will do the following. loosen entry off the gas, decrease sidebite, increase the dynamic wedge in the chassis ( tighter on gas ). in my opinion its to light

Yeah I dont even go that light in my mod but his car WORKS! I dont doubt what he says it just doesn't make since?

and who is this best SS driver?

Id honestly rather not say but I respect your opinion. Youve won your fair share of races and am just looking for a good starter setup for my brother. Hes a rookie and I want to get him going on the right foot. Im a mod guy and this street stock stuff is new to me.

If he is a rookie,,don't mess with the trick stuff,,,,,,use standard set up until he gets fast. JMO though
    We build fast race cars,,not race cars fast!

I believe he is talking about Neil Kemp. Neil was saying on FB about how he runs that 125 lb spring and wins a lot carrying the LF 12 feet off the ground
    #72W U.M.P Stock Car

Agree with Rodney, trick stuff is not for rookies! Keep it simple for a newbie.

he could also be running a very stiff valved RR shock with that 125 spring. it could have a ton of compression, and medium valve on the rebound.
    just a though
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

im a little confused on this subject. i seen alot of cars 3 wheel seemed to me they had alot of side bite which helped lift lf. if anyones got info on this id appreciate it. thanks

I 3 wheeled with a LR 275 and RR 200...springs front and back, shock rates and ride heights are factors when a car 3 wheels. A great handling car shouldn't do it all the time! Just my 2 cents!

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    try it for yourself. it needs to be in your own book of knowledge, you cant get believe half of what you read on the www...
    Amen,,then you can't blame anyone but yourself..

Well something is making this car work and It never 3 wheels. Maybe theres more to the story or the numbers are a little off lol. Anyways ill scale car and post numbers and go from there. Seems 200 across the back is a good place to start.

Since no one has asked, are you talking about a coil or leaf spring?

125 in the RR and it doesnt 3 wheel and he is the best ever? Hummmmmm. OK so have you looked at this spring under the car? He could be coil binding that spring, that would explain why it doesnt 3 wheel, but I cant believe that is the way to go, but hey, he is the best so he must know what he is doing right? The best thing you can do for a rookie is give them a good basic setup, dont change anything, and just let them drive. After the first season, and he or she has proven that they can handle the car in traffic, then start changing what you want and see what they say about it.

Dave
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

I didnt say he was the best ever I sais he was the best ive seen. Not trying to start anything.

Just trying to help my brother get a solid setup under this car to try an aviod some of the common rookie mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    try it for yourself. it needs to be in your own book of knowledge, you cant get believe half of what you read on the www...
    Best advice,,,,,,,The only way to know for sure is to try it. If it doesnt work, you havent failed, you have simply learned.....

Are yall talking about Neil Kemp from Kirby Arkansas ?... he does carry the left front alot of the times and wins a bunch around here at DPS, hes given me a lil advice on how to carry the left front, im gonna try it on our frist practice in Mar. ive only ever went down to 150

They have 4 wheels for a reason,,,,