Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: soft rr spring?

Whenever someone is using a very questionable spring rate, there is a lot more to the story.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

My opinion on three wheeling, Try picking up a wheel and carrying it down the straightaway and then try rolling it down the track and see which is easier lol. for a rookie, definitely don't do anything to dramatic. i was in his position last year and we didn't scale the car till half way through my season, when my dad felt i was ready. i learned how to drive on a car that wasn't on the money. once we set the car up it felt easier to drive IMO (of course it was setup Finally). give them a chance to learn then throw stuff out there to try. if it doesn't work, take it back to the drawing board and try again!
    Lowell Wiltermood
    wiltermoodracing.webs.com

I disagree with the above. The rookie needs a good handling car that he can develop with instead of creating bad habits. Set it up standard. Plenty of people have told you what you need to do. Do it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dracer View Post
    I disagree with the above. The rookie needs a good handling car that he can develop with instead of creating bad habits. Set it up standard. Plenty of people have told you what you need to do. Do it.
    Yep. My first car had probably the most basic setup you could ever imagine, and although it wasn't the fastest, it handled well, and I learned the basics about setups and car control/placement, and after that first year, picking up the "trick" stuff was easier.

Fundamentals and safety always come before speed.
    #72W U.M.P Stock Car

I guess I should have rephrased that, we had it close but not fine tuned. i could drive it easily enough but i wasn't that fastest like MR. dubya's situation
    Lowell Wiltermood
    wiltermoodracing.webs.com

I've seen a lot of drivers through the years trying to keep up with the Joneses. I learned early on that what works for a driver in a specific chassis on a specific night given the track conditions for that night isn't going to necessarily be the key setting up your car. As a driver who has put an ill handling car into the wall and destroyed the chassis, I'll tell you that there often is a cost to experimenting based on what everyone else is doing. I humbly recommend that you contact the manufacturer of the car you plan to put your brother in and get the baseline setup. Let him run a couple of races and expose him to varying track conditions. Initially change the line on the track to meet the track conditions then make a single change to the car setup and document the results. Avoid making whole sale changes between races as it destroys the baseline and any success that you experience is no longer attributable and you'll end up chasing your tail. Take a look at this article: http://pitstopusa.com/n-2836-legenda...g-secrets.html This article talks about modifieds but observe Mr. Merritt's comments when it comes to three wheelin.

I think this is what yall are talking about, one car is neils and the other is his buddys car
    Attached Images Attached Images

that's beyond retarded..one is on an excessive amount of 3 wheels and the other is on 2 wheels. How is that drivable in traffic?

The first car looks like the limit the travel on the lf to do that. To me...that just looks dumb as Todd and I drive right on by them with 4 on the floor.

Why would you want to 3 wheel? It's not for rookies. Every racecar on the track has 4 wheels. I would work on using all 4 wheels. Not setting up to take away tire.. I've seen far more races won with 4 tires working than 3..

Default Controlable

This is what it should look like on an occasional basis depending on track conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Obviously Mr. Kemp and his "buddy" are living on the edge. If they are successful and not wrecking the field to win, then good on them. Let me ask you this, though, how small is the margin of error when three wheelin' or two wheelin'? Does your brother have the experience behind the wheel to walk that fine line? What's the probability that your brother is going to make a mistake? There's a lot of people on an off the track that will give you advice. Some of the less reputable individuals will give you bogus advice so they can maintain their advantage on the racetrack. It's incumbent on you as the individual putting your little brother in the car to decide what is sound, time tested advice and what's b.s.. Choose wisely.

Lmao , looks to me like the 28 hit a rut.

Think of it this way: with one wheel off the ground, you are losing 25% of your total traction!! As dirt racers, traction is something we can never have too much of, JMO.

I built Neil's friend a new chassis and he won almost all the time at DPS and then he parked the car only to race part time( Jason crow) it was not wheeled up nor is any of my metric cars and my brother Jason just won the ump national championship , thanks! Brian Worley Race Cars

Quote Originally Posted by BWRC View Post
    I built Neil's friend a new chassis and he won almost all the time at DPS and then he parked the car only to race part time( Jason crow) it was not wheeled up nor is any of my metric cars and my brother Jason just won the ump national championship , thanks! Brian Worley Race Cars
    I bought some hot dogs today.

Championship was in Factory Stock.......if they are 3 wheeling then I'm pretty sure something is illegal! UMP SS is a whole different can of worms since HP skies the limit. Congrats on Championship!

Thanks Todd but car rules in the classes are pretty much the same except engine like you said but Jason's dynoed 360 hp and a car on same setup at different track with 540 hp open motor performed the same not much different and for as our car setup down here and stock car driver all I was getting at was Jason has only raced 2yrs and has 2 championships and a national title and all our cars won in 2014 do to how easy they drive, I was going to call your j n j fab about ordering 120 rear end mnts I need but I don't like to deal with a negative smart-ss. Thanks Brian!
    Last edited by BWRC; 02-21-2014 at 06:48 AM.

Thanks Todd but car rules in the classes are pretty much the same except engine like you said but Jason's dynoed 360 hp and a car on same setup at different track with 540 hp open motor performed the same not much different and for as our car setup down here and stock car driver all I was getting at was Jason has only raced 2yrs and has 2 championships and a national title and all our cars won in 2014 do to how easy they drive, I was going to call your j n j fab about ordering 120 rear end mnts I need but I don't like to deal with a negative smart-ss. Thanks Brian!
    I couldn't tell from your post what you were trying to say, it made no sense.....

Thanks for not calling, I don't like to deal with idiots. I have 15 numbers at least stored in my phone under idiot already that I wont answer when they call.

Get a thick skin and order the brackets, you will be glad you did. Congrats to your brother.
    BTW ... I had to read it 4 times to get it.
    Gator Engineering