Question Power Steering Horse Power Loss?

I know I've seen this question brought up before, but I can't seem to find it. The question is how much horse power is lost when running power steering? I have never ran it, but a handful of people in my area say they would never go back after running it. Obviously any advantage a driver can get in the corners is a plus, but at what horse power loss? Is it an all around gain/loss/indifferent?

I personally run on multiple size DIRT tracks with different degree bankings under 1/2 mile, but I would assume the question still applies to paved tracks.

Also, I mostly run a 2.3 stock rod, hydraulic head, no port, no polish locally, but also occasionally run the KMSA races with a 2.3, 5.7 rod, full port/polish open head. Would power steering be better/worse/indifferent between the different motors. I currently run manual rack with quickener.

Anyone with experience with these matters, please respond. Thanks!

There are a lot of variables as to how much power it takes for power steering. stock pump vs a racing pump like sweet. Then there is the pulleys you run. The faster you turn the pump the more loss. We run power steering and love it. You want to only turn the pump as fast as needed without turning it to fast. You can tailor the pump speed with pulley sizes. The power to turn the pump is the same no matter what motor you are running providing rpm is same.

Thanks r3tracing, I believe I would probably just go straight for a racing style pump, unless there isn't much to be gained from a stock style. May just have to bolt one up this year.

You can also change the pressure regulating spring. Reduce the output to just what you need.

Old Rob, i race a 2.3 in the scca and i wouldnt give up my power steering but you do have my attention. How do change the regulating spring?

I had not thought of playing with the spring but that is interesting though. i to would not think about giving up the power steering.

Speedway sells a pressure adjustment valve to allow pressure changes on street rod that use a Pinto rack with a Chevrolet pump. That should work on any system or pump.